How can I update 1990 gold fixtures ? Renting a home with old gold fI?


Renting a home with 1990 gold finishes. Other than painting them, can I change the gold tones?

  11 answers
  • on Oct 18, 2020

    You can use a rub on product called Rub n Buff. Not exactly painting.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Oct 18, 2020

    If you want to paint or any other update, you need to get the permission of the landlord

    IN WRITING, oral permission will never hold up when when it comes time to move. So, until then you have that, I would not proceed with any changes.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 18, 2020

    Hello Bobbie,

    Are the gold item yours or are they rented as in along with the property. If they are part of the property, you will have to ask for permission to update them! If they are yours, go ahead an do as you please! The landlord may say you can change them while you are renting, but they must be reinstalled when you leave! Renting, means you are only borrowing the items! Best wishes.

  • Janice Janice on Oct 18, 2020

    Hi Bobbie, both of the previous answers are spot on! You, as a renter, should not make any changes such as painting, etc. without the written agreement of your landlord. You might inquire if they will work with you to update these items and it will be a win-win for each of you. Hometalkers have shown that they have painted fixtures, etc. so I'm attaching those projects. Please, please, work with your landlord on any of this as you risk your damage deposit as well as a lawsuit if you do otherwise.

    To find additional painting help, simply type in a question at the top of the home page iadjacent to the little blue house icon.

    Good luck to you!

  • Leave them alone. Gold accents are back in and all the rage. Look through any home decorating magazine or catalog. Pop into a home decor store, gold is everywhere. Agree with the above. I am a landlord and always willing to work with my tenants. If you absolutely can't live with them, discuss with your landlord before doing anything. It isn't cheap to hire a plumber to switch out faucets, shower heads, etc.

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 18, 2020

    you can't change the color without painting them and they make spray paints that do that the only other way to do it is replace the fixtures and then take them if you move again and replace it with the old ones- you could always ask the landlord if you could paint them

  • Bobbie Moorr Bobbie Moorr on Oct 18, 2020

    I wanted to clean or buff them up. I know gold is in right now and I can make it work. I just as hoping someone would know how to clean up and get them looking better. I am aware of working with the landlord. Thanks

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Oct 18, 2020

    Hello using spray paints might be a valuable option. I have used the oil rubbed bronze color to update many of my household items.

  • Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Oct 18, 2020

    Hi Bobbie, hope this helps you update your gold fixtures.

    How to Paint Over Brass or Gold Fixtures | Home Guides | SF ... › ... › Home Decor

    Jul 24, 2015 — Update those old brass or gold faucets, cabinet hardware or light fixtures with acrylic enamel paint either sprayed or brushed on, creating dark, polished finishes or antiqued finishes that let some of the brass or gold show through. The process is simple, involving light sanding, priming, painting and sealing.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 19, 2020

    Black glaze to antique the look. You slightly scuff the surface with fine steel wool and wipe with denatured alcohol. Then rub on a bit of glaze and rub off after a couple of seconds. Reapply if not deep enough.