Stamped Farmhouse Table

$100.

I found the perfect table on Marketplace except it wasn't quite the style I wanted. Until now!

Before
Marketplace Table and Chairs find!

I can't tell you how excited I was that I found this Drexel heritage dining room set for only $100 on Marketplace. I have been redoing my house one room at a time and had waited to find the perfect set before finishing the room. The only problem is it wasn't quite the style I wanted.

Clean well
Clean and Prep

Because I knew I was going to paint the table and chairs I wasn't worried about the little scratches. Before I even got out the paint brushes I made sure I cleaned everything well with a mixture of TSP and water.

My favorite product ever!
Problem Solve

So I always see painting furniture as steps. First off is cleaning for sure and then next I called problem solve. If I'm worried about adhesion issues or bleed through I'll tackle that right now. In this case the table and chairs were really shiny.

Apply with a sponge

So this is not necessary, but I find if I want to cover a large space quickly to Prime/Paint with a sponge. I usually buy a pack of 10 at Dollar Tree. Or cutting up one of those car Wash sponges works awesome also.

Choose your base Color Paint

It might seem weird that I chose a bright white as a base color for the top of my table. Honestly any light white or off-white would do since the stain will cover. I already had chosen Retique It paint in Snow for the rest of the set..so why not?

Paint

I ended up using two coats of snow paint over the adhesion primer. It was the perfect base for my next step. (Do not seal your paint at this time)

IOD barn wood stamps

My next step did involve a set of stamps that I bought online from a company called IOD. (Iron Orchard Designs) from the picture you can see mine have been much loved. 😁 I have used them probably 50 times already! I found the easiest way to apply the paint onto the stamps is to use a foam roller.

Stamping in straight lines

The kit comes with different grains of wood. I started with one and reapplied the paint each time with the foam roller after I stamped. I continued the pattern down a straight line before choosing the next pattern.

All 3 patterns

I found doing rows of all three patterns looks really well. You of course could come up with your own pattern. Keep going until the whole entire table has been covered and don't forget your edges.

Details make a difference

When I was all done stamping my rows, I went ahead and used some of the cool details. One of the extras that comes with the kit is little knots that replicate knots of wood.

Seal

I know this will seem a little odd but I did go ahead and put a thin coat of Retique It polyacrylic over my dried stamp pattern. This keeps the stain from penetrating the chalk style paint.

Varathane Dark Walnut
Apply Stain

After everything dried fully I went ahead and used an Old rag to apply my stain in straight lines that go with the grain of my stamping. Just like you would do if you were following the grains of real wood. This step will not look perfect. The stain will take a couple coats to cover and look like natural wood.

Two Coats
Apply 2 or 3 coats

You may find that your stain is a tiny bit tacky even after letting it dry for a longer period of time than the can suggested it would. You could either leave it and let it dry overnight, or take a old paintbrush and lightly put a coat of polyacrylic over the stain. I did this between my second and third coat. If you like the way it looks on your second coat then leave it. I wanted a richer and darker look so I went ahead and used three coats total of stain.

After with 2 coats of Polyacrylic

When you are happy with the look of your stain and it is completely dry.. go ahead and apply Retique It Polyacrylic. Again I love to use a sponge especially on large surfaces, but you could apply with a brush as well. Make sure that you do thin coats. I used 2.

Close Up of finished Table

So as you see, the stamping made a great base and totally changed the feel of the traditional table to more of a farmhouse look.

I could not be happier with the end result of my table and chairs. Who would think a Marketplace find for only $100 could look this good?

*Cost of supplies for this project could be less if you already have paint and cleaner on hand. The one-time cost of the stamps will allow you to do many projects in the future.

These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box

• Amy
    Amy

How did you paint the chairs, and did you recover the seats or paint?

• KB
    KB

Beeyoutiful! That is gorgeous! I want to buy more from IOD, love their stuff! Very creative! You have a great eye!

• Kathy
    Kathy

Wow! Seriously was surprised at how well it looks like real wood. Fabulous!!!