Yarn Christmas Trees

$15

Oh, I just made the cutest little trees yesterday! It was my first Christmas craft for this year and now I'm dreaming about the Holidays!

It's also one of my favorite kind of projects to make: you only need a couple of easy to find supplies and it doesn't cost a fortune to make!! Let me show you...

Supplies

I started with a skein of chunky yarn and craft foam cone. I am using this silky ivory yarn but I think the chunky chenille blanket yarn would look wonderful as well.

Cut The yarn

How easy is this, all the yarn pieces are cut into 6 inch pieces. You can cut as you go or cut a bunch of pieces ahead of time.

I made little loops by by meeting the two ends together

I started gluing the yarn loops onto the foam cone. I let the loops hang a little past the bottom of the tree form on the first row.

I use the back end of a paint brush to hold the yarn in place as the hot glue sets...it saves me from burning my fingers (but I ALWAYS end up burning myself at some point!!)

After the first row was done, I started the second row of yarn loops (and every row of yarn after that) by putting the glue drop right above the top of the last row.

**I FOUND THAT RAISING THE TOP OF THE FOAM CONE ONTO SOMETHING WAS SO MUCH EASIER THAT KEEPING IT FLAT ON THE TABLE***

Every row of yarn loops hangs over the previous row of yarn (it hides the top of the yarn and the glue)

Top Of The Yarn Tree

To cover up the top of the foam cone, I used a piece of the yarn and glued it to the tippy top of tree. I just wrapped the yarn around and glued the end underneath itself.

Finished Yarn Tree

Now, you could leave the tree just like this...isn't it super cute?? You could put a little star on top or add a base.

Make A Base For The Yarn Tree

I decided to add a base to my tree. I used 4 inch clay pots and gave them a quick coat of a almost white ( slightly gray) chalk paint.

Dark Wax

When the paint was dry I brushed a small amount of dark wax across the body of the pot.

To secure the tree to the pot I put hot glue around the rim and held it in place until it bonded.

Finished Tree

Isn't it cute??!!

I also made a smaller version of the yarn tree. I had green yarn and a white craft foam cone so I painted a quick coat of green paint to the cone so the white wouldn't show through.

**TIP: You could make this using any color yarn; but just paint the foam cone the same color as the yarn so it blends in.**

So are you excited to decorate for the holidays now?

You can check out the DIY yarn trees I made last year here ( I guess I really like yarn trees!!)

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Jennifer Howard| Cottage On Bunker Hill

• Tish
    Tish

Could you not decrease the length of the yarn 🧶 as it goes up the cone so the tree 🌲 is more defined? Those are totally adorable 😍, but my mathematical mind was just wondering... 🤔

(Love these little trees!!! The pots as bases are cute 🥰 too!)

• Tish
      Tish

Ooooo, Jennifer! Chunky chenille yarn? Fabulous to the max! 🥰 I’m loving that idea!!! Can’t sit to see this next batch of trees... 🤩

• Pau49266453
    Pau49266453

The tops need something besides a curly-cue??

• Lisa Peach Lehman
      Lisa Peach Lehman

Craft beads would be cute glued to it as ornaments! Those or a great way to use beads off a broken necklace. I keep my old ones to use for things like that.

• Evette Owens
    Evette Owens

Just love it