Closet Door Makeover

$75

Our broken bi-fold doors in our large upstairs closet had to go! We gave our bi-fold closet door a makeover. Sharing all the details of this closet door makeover & how we changed our bi-fold door to a hinged door in 1 day.

Taking off the Old Doors

The first thing we did was take off the broken bi-fold doors and disassemble the shelves. 

The trim around the old doors and baseboard had to go too. 

We also pulled up the dirty carpet and laid down these beautiful unfinished wide pine floors to match the ones we added to our master bedroom.

Framing Out the New Doorway

Next Jason, my husband framed out a new doorway so the old bi-fold doors would fit. 

He added a 2 by 4 to the middle of the doorway to have a place to screw the hinges to.

He also lowered the header so the doors would cover the space completely & not leave any weird gaps or openings above or below our new closet doors.

Bringing Back the Old Closet Doors

After adding new shelving to the Closet, Jason zipped off about an 1/8 inch off of each to door to allow the hinges to fit so they could close properly. 

After sanding down the many layers of paint we brought the new closet doors back in to see how they would fit.

Painting the Closet Doors & Adding Hinges & Handles

After putting 3 layers of white paint on the doors Jason added the hinges and we screwed them to the door frames. The doors fit great and I love the handles and hinges we added to our bi-fold closet door makeover. We also gave our farmhouse stairs a makeover, you can check that out  HERE. FOr more information on how we transformed our bi-fold closet doors, click on the link below.

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Tara @ Lehman Lane

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

I understood that you had changed the bifolds to bypass, until I read that they were now hinged.....

How do the doors open, and how much floor space do they take when opened? Might you be able to post a picture?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

OK. Thanks for replying to my question.

After seeing the additional pictures of the inside framing, I get it now how the new hinges work.