How to Make a Fabric Rag Wreath With Pumpkins

$10

My favorite projects are ones that are simple, but with a lasting or big impact. This is one of those projects! I’m going to show you how to make a fabric rag wreath using strips of ticking for a festive farmhouse look. You can make this gorgeous wreath in one sitting.

A few weeks ago, I made drop cloth pumpkins for a live greenery wreath. The good news is this fabric one will last forever, and I can remove the pumpkins and add another seasonal element or just keep it simple for any time of the year. Disclosure: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.

The other good news is, it’s CHEAP! I bought the metal wreath form at the dollar store, and used my coupon for my ticking fabric. I spent under $10 for this wreath. For the pumpkins, I used a drop cloth, sticks from my yard for the stem, and a needle and thread. I added Spanish moss to surround the stem. This is so, so simple!

Snip, Rip + Clip Strips

I used about a yard and a half of ticking fabric (45″ wide) and snipped the end of the fabric, the ripped each strip all the way to the end of the fabric.

This photo shows ripping the fabric.

This photo shows fabric strips.

Knot Strips to Wreath Frame

Once you have your strips (or you can do this in batches), begin to loop your strips through the wire wreath frame. For each strip, put wrong sides of the fabric together in half and pull the ends around the wire.

Pull the ends through the loop where the fabric is folded in half and pull tightly.

Make sure each of these are pulled snugly around the wire. Repeat this step to cover every section and row of wire.

You’ll start to see the fullness of the fabric ends take shape. Fabric ends and ripped edges will be frayed. This is the look we want, so keep going!

Here’s what the fabric will look like up close.

Your wreath should look something like this. You could also do this with a drop cloth, or any other fabric you like.

Embellish with Seasonal Pumpkins (Optional)

I decided to embellish my wreath with fall pumpkins. Here are full directions for my Drop Cloth Pumpkins. I just used a drop of hot glue and plan to remove them and use in the spring/summer.

Here’s a shot of the fabric rag wreath on my $25 pantry door, found at a flea market. When we built our house, we had them build the doorframe to accommodate my cheap-o vintage door. We painted it BM Bird Egg Blue and added frosting to the glass of the doors. Want more? Check out Fall decor, tips and recipes here.

30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Misty | Back Porch Bliss

• Emily Alfriend Wilson

I love this project, but I’m not clear about the length of the fabric strips. You said you had a yard and a half of fabric, but the strips in the picture don’t look a yard and a half long. Did I miss something?

• Millie

how long and wide is each strip?

• Annajay.

IM it’s the 2 other, how long are the strips?

• Annajay.

I thinki this is very pretty and would like to try it. Since you done all the hard work of figuring out the sizes.

Thank you.