Air Dry Clay Vase

$20

I have been all about vase makeover lately and this clay one was super fun!

I had a tall sea-glass vase that I wasn’t loving anymore so I thought why not cover it in air dry clay and have some fun!

I picked up two tubs of air dry clay and some clay tools from Michaels.

After dusting off the vase, I began putting the clay onto the vase. It stuck really well.

I kept it at an even thickness and didn’t do it too thick or thin to try to avoid cracking.

Once the whole vase was covered, I added some light water to it to try and smooth out the clay.

I then began doing a pattern with my clay tools. It was in no way perfect, which is what I love.

I let it dry overnight, it still wasn’t quite dry, but I applied some cream chalk paint.

The paint went on so well and you could do any color or add a darker color in the cuts to add more depth.

Here’s a close up of the texture on the finished vase.

I love how it turned out and I am now obsessed with clay and can’t wait for my next project!!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

• Dixie
    Dixie

How waterproof is it? Could it be left outdoors as a candle holder or kerosene lamp? Great idea!

• Ash | Dash Lifestyles
      Ash | Dash Lifestyles

Oh good question... I would probably say not to use outside, however you could search crayola air dry clay and maybe it’ll tell you more info :)

• CG
    CG

Can you use joint compound to coat the bottle?

• Ash | Dash Lifestyles
      Ash | Dash Lifestyles

Maybe!!!! I’ve done paper mache and air clay. I’d say that joint compound could work, maybe test it on a small piece first!

• CG
    CG

I am going to try using joint compound this week end. I enjoyed watching your project. Thanks for the idea and feedback. Gloria

• Trudi
    Trudi

When I have used joint compound on walls, it needed primer underneath to adhere to. I'm thinking that a bottle will be too slick for jc to stick to.