Vintage Sideboard From Drab to Fab! Using Retique It Products

$50

This piece had damaged veneer, missing moulding and was in desperate need of a redesign. What a transformation! I used Retique it products to give this piece a full redesign!

Vintage Sideboard Painted in Retique it Dove Grey

This is the finished piece, I am in love with Retique it Dove Grey, such a soft beautiful grey!

Before Photo of the Vintage Sideboard

This piece had missing moulding, the veneer on top was peeling off, this piece needs a lot of TLC!

How to remove peeling veneer

For this step I started with a heat gun and a putty knife, when you use a heat gun to remove veneer, it heats up the adhesive allowing you to peel the veneer off. In most cases the wood beneath the veneer is even more gorgeous than the veneer!

After applying the heat gun, you can see the veneer will peel off.

Removing the veneer takes patience, you want to have your putty knife parallel to the piece, not angled down to avoid gouging the wood beneath.

Missing Moulding-How to duplicate

For this step, I used air dry clay to cast a mould of the missing piece using the other side that was intact. After I cast the mould, I used hot glue in the mould to recreate the missing piece. If you cast piece is a bit larger than the missing piece you can use scissors to cut it down to size. I applied the replica moulding with Tightbond glue.

Replica of moulding made in previous step.

This is the best way I have found to duplicate missing moulding pieces.

Sanded and stained in Kona

After removing the veneer, I sanded the top down with the following stages of grit sandpaper 60/80/120/180/240 wiping the top clean between each level of sandpaper. I then stained the top in Kona by Verathane.

Applying Retique it Liquid Wood and stain to the feet

For the feet on this piece I used Retique it Liquid Wood in dark wood and then I stained them in Kona. I then lightly distressed them to give them an old world look.

Painted in Retique it Dove Grey

For the base of this piece I painted it in Retique it Dove Grey (2 coats) which is a soft beautiful grey. I then used black gilding wax on the details. I sealed the entire piece in wax. I hope you love the transformation! Please feel free to reach out with any questions!

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk

• Linda Cann
    Linda Cann

What can I use if I don’t want to remove the veneer????

• Redesign by Renee Co
      Redesign by Renee Co

If the veneer isn't in bad shape like mine was but just has minor damage you can fill it with a wood filler or mud filler and cover it with Retique it liquid wood and that would make it stainable. That is was I do for pieces that aren't this far gone :)

• Billie
    Billie

Why did you use Retique It on the legs? Seems a simple coat of paint would have accomplished a similar look and cut out a step and some cost.

• Redesign by Renee Co
      Redesign by Renee Co

That’s a great question I wanted to stain the legs without having to sand them so I used liquid wood so I could stain them the same stain as the top