How to Make an Awesome Log Side Table

$70

*This post was sponsored by Worx Tools. All opinions are my own.

Today I want to show you how you can turn a simple log into a really awesome side table. I made this log side table for our living room and I think that it turned out so stylish. Plus it was super fun to make. Continue reading to see how to make your own log side table.

Step 1. Find a Log

If you have a wood pile then there's a good chance that you may already have the perfect log in your own backyard. But if not, you can usually find someone who is selling firewood and you should be able to purchase a log through them.

You'll want to look for a log that has a clean even cut so that it sits flat and doesn't rock.

Step 2. Remove Bark

I found that using a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer worked well for removing the bark from the log. I just wedged the screwdriver into the bark and then hammered the back end of the screwdriver which allowed for the screwdriver to easily peel off the layers of bark.

Step 3. Sand log to get a smooth surface.

I used a small hand held electric sander for this and it work great at achieving a smooth surface on my log. If you don't have a hand sander, just use a sheet of sandpaper, it may be a little more work but it will get the job done.

Tip: If your log is wet, use a heat gun to dry it.

I was working on my log table outdoors and one evening it rained and my log was left uncovered and so it got wet. I did a little research and found out that you can use a heat gut to dry the wood. So I used my new MakerX heat gun from Worx brand and it dried my log in no time. The nice thing about this heat gun is that it comes with a 20V battery and so I was able to work on my project outdoors. This new MakerX system is so versatile, there's a whole lot of different tools that you can switch out, while using the same portable battery. I'll share more on that in a minute.

Step 4. Draw image on log

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to burn images of trees all around my log. I just had this idea in my head and I knew that trees would be fairly simple to draw since I'm not much of an artist. Using a pencil I just sketched out my design onto the log.

Step 5. Burn image into log

I used the MakerX Wood Crafter tool from Worx brand. This little baby heats up to 900 degrees! Although I didn't need it to be quite that hot for this project so I kept the temperature around 700 degrees and just slowly and carefully I traced over all of my pencil lines with the wood crafter.

I also added a crescent moon and some birds to my design.

Step 6. Add felt stickers

We have hard wood floors and so I was worried about the log scratching the floors and so I just stuck on some felt furniture pad stickers to the bottom of the log.

Tip: You can use a sealer to give the log a protective surface. 

I still may add a Polyurethane sealer to my log, especially on the top where one would set down a drink, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sometimes sealers change the color of the wood a bit and I happen to really like the raw look of this log and so I'm still deciding if I want to add a sealer or not.

The finished look

I placed my new log side table next to a comfy chair in our living room. The log side table is now a really convenient place to set down my book and cup of coffee.

My son also mentioned that this log coffee table could also double as a stool. It might not be the most comfortable place to sit, but I suppose he is right.

More about MakerX

A little more about the new MakerX tools by Worx, like I mentioned you can easily switch out different tools while using the same 20V battery hub. Some of the other tool options are an Airbrush, Angle Grinder, Rotary Tool, The heat gun that I shared above, and then this Wood Crafter that also works on Metals. MakerX is very versatile and so perfect for crafting and working on projects round the home.

What do you think of my new log side table? Is this something that you would like to create too? If so, then I say go for it!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

And if you like this project, be sure to stop by my blog, The Wicker House for more Simple Decorating Ideas and budget friendly DIY's

Thank You,

Emily

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
The Wicker House

• Cat
    Cat

Great project but did you treat log for bugs ?

• Just set in for a few days. One step further, place in a plastic garbage in the sun for a few days. If any bugs are in there, they will crawl out and die. Just be careful when you cut the bag off. That's the non chemical method. There are others, just consider the off gassing when brought inside. If you have children, pets, especially birds, it could be a problem.

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Hi, beautiful work on log table, especially the etching. My question is, I have some log sections from a Chinese elm; when the bark fell off there were almost like wooden thorns left. They’re about 1/2 in long and very hard. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

• Judi
    Judi

I have a Kerig K-cup coffee maker and it needs descaling. I tried 3/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup water mixture. I let the heater heat the water and then turned it off for 30 minutes. Still flashing that I need to descale the coffee maker. Help????

• Daisy@TX
    Daisy@TX

Love love this. You are so creative. As for the sealer maybe just seal the top to protect it from any spills and no water rings.

• Sherri Burriss Gardiner
    Sherri Burriss Gardiner

I love this! Totally going to give it a shot. Great job!