How to dress up interior wood grain luan doors?

Becky at Flipping the FlipFrugalFamilyTimes.comCheryl A
+11

I have dark colored wood grain doors. Can I paint them? What kind of paint should I use? Can I paint the interior doors of the bathrooms the same color as the walls?

• Bonnie Sue
    Bonnie Sue

Yes you can. Clean and give light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to remove sheen. Clean off dust from sanding. Then paint.

Paint doors any color you like!

• You sure can paint them. Clean/degrease them well and use a coat of primer. Remove the knobs or tape them off first. Use interior latex paint in a satin or semi-gloss sheen. If the doors are flat, you can use a roller to paint them.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I always clean, sand, prime and then paint. It is much easier if you take the doors down to work on them! I like the inside of a door to match the room, so I have done that! Good luck!

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Yes this will be a remarkable room brightening update. Darker wood can be dreary.

Proper prep can yield a successful job. After walls are clean —prime and paint.

We have a log cabin and too much wood is dark and dreary.

We are quite pleased the previous homeowner placed paneling in two bedrooms and painted it a light color. I would suggest not to hesitare to your paint doors for a room brightening update.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

As the other Hometalkers have said, prep the door properly, then paint. We painted our interior doors to match the walls of the room. The trim around the doors was in a accent color. Also we used glossy paint to increase the durability of wear and tear on the doors.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

You can definitely paint them. You can also apply trim to make them look like more expensive doors.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Terry. I believe the biggest bang for your buck is by painting. Clean the doors first. Then sand them. Clean off all of the sanding dust. Next is to prime them and, lastly, paint them. Terry, this is a lot easier if you take the doors down to work on them.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Prime first and then you can paint them. I am partial to Sherwin-Williams and have my doors and trim painted white. If you paint walls & doors the same color, it's a personal choice and they will tend to blend into the walls.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Terry,

The answer is Yes in all cases, but remember if you do it will be a job for life!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Yes, you can paint them. There are lots of great posts here on painting doors. Good luck!

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=painting%20doors

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Yes, looks like you got some great advice about painting. I LOVE Benjamin Moore cabinet paint ADVANCE for all projects like that especially for an area like a bathroom.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

Terry

You can paint your walls and doors the same colors but some folks use a semi gloss or high gloss on doors to give it a sheen and not look so flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6rBzKVIMU

• Yes to all of your questions. Get a good primer then paint away with latex interior paint.