Upcycled Mini Plate Trees

$1

It is a lot easier then you think to cut up old ceramic plates, you just need the right blade for your rotary tool. I've cut up bowls and cups to make a gorgeous wall planter before (see it here). This time I decided to upcycle an old chipped place into a cute Christmas decoration.

To make this cute decoration I used an old China plate, some cotton reel spools and a bit of scrap fabric. Thin China porcelain plates are the best ones to use for this craft.

I used rotary tool with a diamond cutting blade to cut, triangles out of the plate. There is a link to the tool and blades on the blog post.

It is easier then you think. The plates can get hot as you cut them so just gently spray with water as you go along.

The rotary tool can then be used to smooth the cut plate pieces. Just use a grinding attachment on the end.

Also use the tool to saw a groove into the top of the thread spool.

Glue the plate into the wooden spool stand.

To finish off then wrap the cotton fabric around the wooden spool.

I love these mini trees, they sit on my mantle all year round and not just for Christmas. I have quite a collection of upcycled mini trees, you should check out my denim seam ones too.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Claire at Pillarboxblue