How To Make a Faux Cake

$35
1 Day

• This project is perfect for someone who is planning a photoshoot and maybe doesn’t want to spring for the expensive three-tiered cake. Maybe you are planning a wedding, outdoor tablescape photo, or birthday photo shoot. This project is not only affordable, it is pretty easy for the most inexperienced DIY-er to do. Check out more DIY's on my blog. Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Worx Tools. All opinions are my own.

I learned this technique last year when I was scrambling to find a baker for a fall outdoor tablescape photo shoot I was doing. So I decided to create my own faux beautiful cake instead! I am so excited to show you how this one turned out.

Gather all of your materials.

You can choose to substitute brands or craft supplies when necessary.

Step Your Cake Rounds

I purchase a set of 4 Styrofoam rounds off of Amazon, but you can pick these up at any craft store. You can also choose any size or shape for your cake rounds, there are so many options.

Step Applying the Joint Compound

Use the All Purpose Joint compound and apply to the styrofoam forms with a spackling knife.

Step Let Compound Dry

Allow your cakes to completely dry. I only needed three cakes for this project, so I will just save one for a rainy day! *Side Note: If you find holes or areas that need repairing, apply another layer of joint compound and let it dry before painting. You will see a slight color change between wet and dry areas. I allow to dry overnight.

Step Gather Paint Sprayer Materials

I am so excited that I have the new Maker X dremel style tool to use to airbrush this faux cake. 

Step Prep to Paint

Prep to Paint. This 20V cordless air brush attachment from Worx will be perfect for airbrushing the cake rounds to create a candy corn look. You want to fill up the air brush paint container with your desired colored paint. Be sure to clean out paint in between color changes. We used white, orange, and yellow acrylic paint. *Side Note: If you do not have a paint sprayer simply apply the paint with a brush. 

We painted one tier yellow and one tier orange.

The bottom tier white.

Painting Your Cakes Your Desired Color

We wanted to decorate this faux cake for Halloween to look like a piece of candy corn. So each tier was a different color. *Side Note: Even if you want to leave your cake white, I would recommend applying 1-2 coats of white paint. Just to give it a brighter, cleaner looking finish. The joint compound does dry white, but it is very dull.Also if you want to do a naked cake then I recommend painting your ake with a tan or brown paint before you spackle. You will lightly coat the cake with spackling, not full coverage.

Step Glue Your Cakes Together

Use the Styrofoam Glue to glue your cake forms together. Make sure they are centered when you place each tier. I prefer to do this after spackling the cake it is easier to do each cake separately in my opinion. *Side Note: You could do before you paint totally your preference.

Step Time to Decorate the cake!

We used candy corn, fall florals, and some acorns we found at the park.

Glue Candy To Cake

Just dab a bit of hot glue on the bottom of the candy. 

Press the candy on to the cake for just a few seconds each. We decided to just go along the top two tiers of the cake. 

Just continue adding candy or decor around your entire cake tiers.

Add in the florals

We used a toothpick to make some small holes at the top of the cake for the florals to be inserted into. 

Adding in Fall Touches

At this point we wanted to add a few florals and acorns to the top and side of the cake to balance it out. 

Thats a Wrap!

This was such a fun project and an affordable way to stage your table for any season. 

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Wendy Zock The Curated Farmhouse

• Peggy
    Peggy

Have you tried mixing the paint into the spackle

• Glenda
    Glenda

You could make this reusable by inserting a 1/2"-3/4" dowel rod up through the center of each "layer" (instead of spackling them together, which will probably cause damage if you try to separate the layers).

Then you could repaint the layers for each tablescape project you have, depending on the color/theme needed.

Also, instead of gluing the decorations on, make a thin "snake" of white removeable poster putty/adhesive (such as Sticky Tack), wrap it around the cake and press the decorations into it. You might could even use the joint compound in a cake decorating piping bag with tips to make various traditional cake decorations (such as borders and flowers) in pieces for easy attachment with the same poster putty.

I don't know if I've described this clearly enough but your idea has set my creative brain on fire! Hmmm...now if I could find a way to make some money doing this!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

A cake without calories!

Great for a see-food diet! (You just look at it; you don't eat it). LOL