How to Paint a Ceiling With a Color Block Design

$80

Do you consider the ceiling a fifth wall? Until about a year ago I never thought I would want to paint a ceiling anything other than white. Since then I’ve noticed more and more painted ceilings and you know what- they are stunning! Let me take you through my journey of how to paint a ceiling with a color block design.

When I say color block what I mean is rather than painting the whole wall, only a “block” of it will be painted.

The idea is to paint the entire ceiling and a small portion of the top of the walls.

First, determine the dimensions of the color block design. Next remove any fans, AC vent covers, or outlet covers. Lay your drop cloths over any furniture and set your laser level up.

Apply the Frog Tape on the laser level line

You can see my laser level is broke so I used tape to secure it to the wall. LOL

Wet a damp washcloth or paper towel and wipe the Frog Tape down

Once you've applied the Frog tape all over the room wet it! Frog tape is "activated" when a wet washcloth is applied to it.

View of the room with Frog Tape. Next pour paint into the paint sprayer.

Start painting!

Using the paint sprayer, begin by spraying in long even strokes in the opposite direction of how you look into the room. Let the first coat dry and apply the second coat of paint.

Remove the Frog Tape before the paint is fully dry

It's important to remove the paint before it dries so it won't pull off when you remove the tape.

Seems fairly easy, right?

After you remove the Frog tape, go ahead and put the ceiling fan and switches back.

Ready to see it?

I love the dimension it gives the room! What do you think?

HOW TO PAINT A CEILING VIDEO

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Lindsey

• Carole White
    Carole White

Nice job! I always treat the ceiling as that "fifth wall". Unless your walls are white, to me it looks like an unfinished project.

• Tracy McKay Booher
    Tracy McKay Booher

I didn’t do color blocking but I didn’t paint my ceiling a deep blue on the main level of my home.