Repurposed Vintage Doors With Sconce Lights

5 materials
$80
When a friend gave me these vintage doors I had no intention of using them with sconce lights. I intended to replace a utility door in our living room or use them as our master bedroom closet doors. They ended up being a wee bit shorter than I expected and they didn’t fit the space. Because of this, I had to get creative and create something else out of them. That’s when I decided to create repurposed vintage doors with sconce lights!
The doors BEFORE the lights
Clean the doors
The first thing I did was clean the doors and get all the dirt and grime off of them.
Apply Lime Wax
Next I applied a little lime wax to protect the wood and also give it a lighter finish.
Applying Liming Wax
Buff the Liming Wax
Buff out the liming wax to give it a good finish.
Decide what light you want to add to the doors
I happened to have a few old sconce lights I wasn't using.
Unscrew the wiring
Rather than pulling the entire plug through the door, unscrew the wiring so you can then re attached it.
Install the back of the sconce light hardware to the doors
Decide where to hang the light and install the back of the sconce light hardware on the door.
Use a spade drill bit to drill a hole into the door to run the wires through.
Pull the wiring through the door
Reattach the wiring
Once the hardware is secure and the wiring re attached, put the sconce on the door.Ready to see what it looks like now?
Don't they add character to the room?
I love the vintage charm these doors add to our dining room!

Lindsey

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 17 comments
Next