Vintage Book Knife Block

$5

I don't know about you but I've always hated the look of knife blocks. They're so practical though and nearly every kitchen has one but other than painting them a trendy color, there typically isn't much you can do with them.

And then!

Surfing on Instagram one day inspiration struck and my custom vintage book knife block was born!

Let me show you how I made it...

First I took a small collection of some similarly colored vintage books and arranged them in a pleasing pattern.

Then I took some jute twine and wrapped it around the books twice, knotting it in the front and leaving long tails.

I tied the tails into a bow and then on the end of each tail I threaded on some pretty beads, knotting the twine between each bead so that they were separated a little bit. It looks really cute with the beads tight together too, it's just a matter of personal preference. Make sure to knot the end of the tail well so the beads don't come off.

After placing it on my kitchen countertop where I wanted it, I simply slid my knives into the books between the pages. Its so cute and perfectly fits with my vintage style!

NOTE: Because these are genuine vintage books, I always make sure my knives are very dry before I put them into the books. I don't want to damage the books.

ALSO, I am not suggesting that highly valuable vintage books be used in case damage does occur to some pages over time. There are plenty of old books, that have lots of character and charm, which are not highly valuable vintage books that could be used for this DIY. I recommend researching the books you plan to use before deciding.

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Tara @ Stilettos and Shiplap

• Jan49858422
    Jan49858422

Yes Tigala. just wondering how you keep the pages from tearing. I have some very sharp knives that are made to be so sharp to cut paper! I’d use books that don’t matter and can be replaced. Neat idea though.

• Honestly, I made this well over a year ago and put knives in and out of it almost every day. I'm careful, of course, but so far no torn pages - I checked.

• Debbie Collins
    Debbie Collins

Aren’t vintage books unsanitary for kitchen knives

• Laura Bowles
    Laura Bowles

Cool idea!

• Granny Laura
    Granny Laura

I love the idea. It's clever, imaginative and charming. The only downside I see is that it might be somewhat impractical. Still, I wish I had your creativity!