Fun Painted Acorn Garland

4 materials
$5

Every morning I walk through my local park to the gym and then back again. However, on the return I stop for a well earnt coffee at the kiosk after my exercise class. In front of the kiosk is an oak tree, which this year is absolutely laden with acorns. I made cute mini acorn wreaths last year (see here), this year I collected and made this painted garland.

First, I collected a load of fallen acorns, nuts and caps. I then washed them in water.

To remove the mites that live inside the nuts, I roasted them in a low over for about 20 mins. (see blog for more details)

I then stuck a push pin into the base of each nut. This made them easier to handle when painting.

I also stood them up in some scrap polystyrene packaging I had.

I spray painted the acorns, a third green, a third red and the rest white.

Once the spray paints had dried, I then painted patterns on the acorns. I used acrylic paint pens (link on blog) for this. I just went for Scandinavian type doodles.

Once they were all painted, I removed the push pins and glued on the caps.

I then turned the painted acorns into a lovely garland to add to both my fall and Christmas decorations.

As well as painting acorns I collect and paint pine cones as there are so many fabulous things you can make with them (see here).

Claire at Pillarboxblue

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

5 of 43 comments
Next