Fun Painted Acorn Garland

$5

Every morning I walk through my local park to the gym and then back again. However, on the return I stop for a well earnt coffee at the kiosk after my exercise class. In front of the kiosk is an oak tree, which this year is absolutely laden with acorns. I made cute mini acorn wreaths last year (see here), this year I collected and made this painted garland.

First, I collected a load of fallen acorns, nuts and caps. I then washed them in water.

To remove the mites that live inside the nuts, I roasted them in a low over for about 20 mins. (see blog for more details)

I then stuck a push pin into the base of each nut. This made them easier to handle when painting.

I also stood them up in some scrap polystyrene packaging I had.

I spray painted the acorns, a third green, a third red and the rest white.

Once the spray paints had dried, I then painted patterns on the acorns. I used acrylic paint pens (link on blog) for this. I just went for Scandinavian type doodles.

Once they were all painted, I removed the push pins and glued on the caps.

I then turned the painted acorns into a lovely garland to add to both my fall and Christmas decorations.

As well as painting acorns I collect and paint pine cones as there are so many fabulous things you can make with them (see here).

3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Crafty Nana
    Crafty Nana

At what step did you remove the caps and how difficult is that - breakage and such?

• Gail Morey
      Gail Morey

She collected nuts and caps and glued the caps on after they were painted. The nuts she collected didn't have caps on them. We have a ton in our yard and I started collecting them because I thought I could use them for something. :-)

• 1cs1267
    1cs1267

Super cute ... how long did all of this take?!?!?!?

• Carolyn from NH
    Carolyn from NH

Oops. What temp do you suggest please. Getting old forget some things. Sorry