Asked on Oct 23, 2020

Extremely long picture window how to cover it

Becky at Flipping the FlipCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomKim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable


Hello out there,

I have an extremely long (107 inches) picture window and without going bankrupt i am looking for curtains or drapes to cover it for privacy.....and a rod .

I was thinking about using metal hardware, don't know what it is called but hardware galvanized!! Not a formal room.

thinking about putting 2 curtains/drapes on it, one for the bottom half and another for the top half and mostly just open the top part.

Need privacy because you can see in and i now only have sheers...trying to figure out what to do...

I would probably have to use curtain rings so all i would have to do is slide them closed.

Window vertical/horizontal blinds are out of the question because of the cost...and do not forget the weight of this material.....not to thrilled about using some other sort of blinds, like outside blinds, I have seen this but I have 'never' seen them this long...

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.....

Thank you in advance....10-23-2020


16 answers
  • It sounds like you're thinking of using a galvanized pipe - old plumbing pipe? You may be able to find one (or2) at a salvage yard. Curtains/fabric can be expensive, but if you have a thrift store nearby, check there. They often have old curtains and drapes at a great price.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    on Oct 23, 2020

    The last curtains I've used and "made" were actually table cloths I purchased on Amazon along with these clips: To give them hardware to make them usable as curtains. I've heard of people using bed sheets as well. A galvanized plumbing pipe would absolutely work but you might consider PVC (plastic) plumbing pipe and just spray painting it chrome.

  • Vimarhonor
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Hello. I understand your situation curtains can be very expensive.

    Have you considered dropcloth curtains? Would that be something that would suit your decor aesthetic.

    Here’s a link that could be helpful.

    In addition you can buy metal pipes at the big box hardware store meant for gas lines that could be an alternative to a curtain rod it would be very economical.

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on Oct 23, 2020

    JCPenney has some fantastic prices on drapes. The galvanized piping is found in the plumbing department. You will need a support in the middle or two along the way due to the weight of the pipes.

  • William
    on Oct 23, 2020

    You can use electrical conduit for the rods. They come in 10' lengths. Build a valance to cover the rods. Use bed sheets or drop cloth for the curtains.



    Rod Brackets

  • Janice
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Flat king-size sheets provides a lot of fabric for the money. You could use clips or use the topi hem as the rod pocket.

    Galvanized piping looks cool but it is very heavy, especially with the length you have to span.

    You might consider getting vertical blinds, maybe two sets of sliding door ones, and install them separately so when you want privacy you can manipulate each set.

  • Tere
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Thanks will try

  • Deb K
    Deb K
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Hi Sandy, so the length of the window is 107" what about the width? You could do a curtain style like you see in some kitchen windows, or you can try some no sew curtains, make them to your window measurements.

    I have seen several houses with this style in the living room window, which provides privacy and still let in light

  • Oliva
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Have you looked at Ikea? Some of their draperies come in extra long lengths.

  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Hello Sandy

    Maybe use Drop cloths as curtains, or Bed Sheets, or use a Cling or Self adhesive Window film ( Contact or Mirror Film) or Board the bottom part of the window and add a shelf window Ledge. Best wishes. Enjoy the process.

  • Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride
    on Oct 23, 2020

    Like pipe hardware? that would be super cool but just a warning - that can get pretty expensive!

  • Mogie
    on Oct 23, 2020

    The cost will be a little more since the sheet would be larger.

    2 queen sized flat sheets should be more then wide enough.

  • Dee
    on Oct 23, 2020

    You can make a really nice rod with Electrical Tubing and put a nice fineal on the ends. Here is a site how to

    For the drapes you can use drop cloths, they are hemmed on all sides, and easy to hang with just clips. Or if longer than you want put a hem and thread the curtains on the rod.

    The cheapest place I know to purchase drapes and rods is IKEA.

  • I definitely vote for ring clip curtains. I use them all the time. It's super easy to make curtains that will fit from material light enough to glide and not weight down your rod. Or you can buy sheets/ tablecloths, etc, to clip up.

  • Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    on Oct 24, 2020

    Some people have done drop cloths as curtains, which could be an option. I found this on how to do them for loooong windows:

  • You could put a window film on a portion of the glass to save some money on curtains.

Your comment...