How We Installed a Faux Brick Accent Wall

$100
1 Day

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR WEEKLY DIY UPDATES

Is the pantry about to be the fanciest room in our house? Absolutely. Are we mad about it? Not one bit.

We knew we didn’t have the time, money or energy to actually install brick on the entire wall, so we opted instead for a really cool budget hack we learned about on Instagram.

We’ve seen plywood brick panels a few times in other people’s projects, and at roughly $35 for a 4’x8’ sheet, you really can’t go wrong.

To read more about this project, CLICK HERE.

The before

Preparing the brick

Once we got the panels home, they were in four strips of 2’x8’ and a very red color. We actually kind of liked that color independently, but worried that with our blue cabinets and white walls it’d look a little too Independence Day, so we painted them all white.

They were absolute sponges and took a coat of primer and then four coats of white paint before they stopped being splotchy. In hindsight I should’ve done two coats of primer to start with, but you live and you learn.

Installing the panels

Even though the panels themselves feel very hardy and thick, we were able to install them with just a nail gun ( here’s one we just purchased and LOVE) and 1 ¼ inch nails.

Once the panels were up, I caulked the seams and gave it the final fourth coat of paint and finally was able to see the vision of the room start to come together.

Add shelves, decorate

Don't mind the missing countertops and half-painted cabinets - this room is still a work in progress.

Next step was adding the brackets and shelves.

The wall is exactly 8 feet wide, so we’ll able to use two whole 2×12 pieces. I wanted a stain that wasn’t too yellow or too dark, but I had a hard time really describing the look I wanted. I tested the wood stains we already had, but none of them worked right, and we bought a new color called Weathered Oak, but it didn’t have a big enough of an impact aside from greying down the wood a little bit.

• 1/4 in. x 48 in. x 96 in. Kingston Brick Hardboard Wall Panel  (https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-Kingston-Brick-Hard)
  • Wood glue
  • Nails/nailgun

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Lilith A. Bunni
    Lilith A. Bunni

I'm moving into a rental soon and they seem cool with me fixing things up nicely so I might be using this in the kitchen ☺️

William

I had Z Brick backsplash in the kitchen. Hate brick and 70's style. Painted them white and left then alone for a few years. When I finally remodeled the kitchen I replaced them with mosaic tile.