My door handles have been painted?

AnnieMike THolly Lengner - Lost Mom
+30

The handles look terrible and I can't get them off the door as they have several coats of paint on them, but I don't want to damage the door

• Hi! You may be able to use a heat gun to loosen up some paint, specifically the paint on the screws. If you are able to loosen that paint up, I would take a razor around the base of knob and then unscrew it. You can then take an old crockpot filled with water to soak the hardware and remove the rest of the paint. I hope this helps!

• Mike T

Many thanks Desiree,

By the way my handles are mortice handles not knobs but I get your drift and I happen to have a heat gun as my hobby is making epoxy resin models.

Thanks again

Take care

Mike

• Redcatcec

You could use a paint stripper (Citristrip) on the screws, just enough to expose them and then unscrew. To loosed the paint around the base of the knob, you could a single edge razor blade to cut through the dried on layers.

• Mike T

Hiya Redredcatcec and thanks for your tip, as I live in the UK I could use your equivalent Nitromors and I have a salpel which has very sharp blades.

Thanks again

Take care

Mike

• Johnavallance82

Hello Desiree,

Use a Craft Knife to score around the fixing to the door. Use a heavy(hand) screwdriver to release the handles from the doors. Hope that's helpful!

• Deb K

Hi Mike, I like the idea of softening it up with heat, but you still need a precision cutter to trace out the paint where it meets the handle, that way when you pull them off they won't grab huge chunks of paint with them. The cutter will also assist you in digging out the screw heads.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Protect the door with some tape, then use some citri-strip to remove the paint. Once all the paint is loose you can remove the handle and clean it and and repaint it.

• A small dot of Citripstrip on the screws will remove the paint, then I would use some WD-40 to back them out and remove the handles. Then strip the paint off them.

• Morgan McBride

Yes you will need to strip the paint off. Wear a mask that stuff stinks!

• Mike T

Thanks Morgan, with what's going on in the world at the moment I have plenty of masks.

Take care

Mike

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can start with scraping if there are multiple layers. Citristrip is fairly safe and will help to get it off as well. Just be careful and don't get it on the door. You could try taping off and papering around the handles.

Hi Mike: Try using Citristrip. It's a thick gel like paint stripper. Put tape on the area around the handles, making sure it's tight to the door, and then use a small paint brush to apply the Citristrip. You can cover it with plastic wrap overnight to let it work and not drip. Then, use a small plastic putty knife to remove the paint. It will be all wrinkled up and easy to take off. Just use care and go slow. Good luck

Ah. Is that, the Nitromors, similar to Citristrip? Whatever you decide to use, only use a plastic putty knife to scrape the old paint off. Otherwise you risk scratching or gouging your handles. Also, if you can release the screws and remove them, you may be able to use a razor blade to get between the door and handle plate (once it softens a bit) and break that bond between them. Be careful, though, and go slowly so you don't rip the paint off of the door. This is going to ba a slow going project, but you can do it, I have faith in you. Hope it comes out great for you.

• Cynthia H

Hi! With some patience and Citristrip you should be able to get it off to the point you can remove them. I would concentrate on the screws. You can wrap the knob with foil or saran wrap to keep it from drying too quickly. Why remove them? Soaking them will soften the old paint layers and make them easier to remove the buildup. Good luck!

• Mike T

Hiya Cynthia, you've got me thing now!! "Why remove them"? because they were dirty and chipped, but if I take them off and clean them up they will be as good as new and it with save me buying a total of (5 sets) 10 handles.

Thank you very much

Take care

Mike

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Mike, hope this information helps you remove paint from your door handles. How to Strip Paint from Hardware - This Old House

www.thisoldhouse.com › painting › how-to-strip-paint-...

Scrub. Remove hardware from the crockpot (or chemical soak) with tongs and push off any remaining paint with a toothbrush or nylon bristle brush. (A wire brush can scratch the surface.) The paint hardens quickly once it's out of the pot; dip the pieces back in the hot water to help loosen any stubborn spots.

• Mike T

Hello Peggy, really helful advice

Thanks a lot

Take care

Mike

• Oh boy, been there. We were lucky enough that when we scored around the hardware, the paint just chipped away from the rest of the handles and we were able to get to the screws.

• Mike T

Thanks Kim, very helpful and I hope I get the same luck

Take care

Mike

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Have you tried mineral spirits or paint thinner to get the paint off the handle?

• Mike T

Hiya Holly, Yes and it do a thing,

Thanks very very much for your interes

Take care

Mike

• Mike T

Hiya again Holly, I meant to say it didn't do a thing

Regards

Mike

• Annie

If you don't want to save the door handle itself, you could take a utility knife and score all the way around where the handle meets the door. Do the same where the door plate is. Hopefully that will break the seal between handle and door