Nightstands Get a Face-lift

$50

I was given these 2 night stands to give them a makeover! They were repainting the bedroom and wanted the night stands to go with the new decor without spending money on new night stands. These are very traditional pieces, something you might have in your home. With a little paint and stain you can easily refresh them.

Have a plan

I knew I wanted the body of the piece a light grey color and was going to paint it with chalk paint but I also wanted to expose some of the natural wood as this was a solid wood piece. So I sanded down the top and the drawer with 120,220,320 sand paper grit.

Top and drawers sanded down
Sand

Once the top and drawers were sanded down I applied grey general finishes gel stain. I tried minwax penetrating stain first but it didn't give me the more intense grey color I wanted. I don't know maybe if I applied another coat or two it would have worked but I had gel stain on hand so I went with that.

Stain and paint

Once the body and the tops were done I was going to do some stripes on the front of the drawers. I taped them with painters tape.

Cut out design
Add something special

I used a detailed knife to cut the design into the tape. You just need to apply enough pressure to cut the tape and not scratch the wood. But since I was going to paint the cutout it probably would have been ok because the paint would have covered it.

Add clear coat

Once it was all done I applied a spray on polycrilyc clear coat on the tops as well as the painted parts. I spray painted the original pulls black and also applied a polycrilyc clear coat on that.

Now these night stands will go perfectly with the current decor! You can save a lot of money by updating your furniture that is out dated, wrong color, wrong style, so you can get that flat screen TV you have been eyeballing. If you like this transformation follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai for real time tips and tricks.

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps