How to I change up a huge log bed that is too big for our bedroom?

Becky at Flipping the FlipEmMorgan McBride
+22

I need an idea of a possible redo I have a queen size real log bed that when I ordered I didn’t know it was so big. We have no room for bedside tables and one of us has to crawl into bed at night cause it is right by the wall and is heck to make the bed and change sheets. Any ideas for me would be appreciated. Thanks

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

What about a day bed for outside.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Tandy,

Sell it on as someone will want to buy it! Take it into the garden and fill it with flowers as a quirky twist on the usual Flower bed!

• I would return it. The only other possibility is to cut down the logs, but I think that would ruin the bed.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Can you return it? Or sell it? Or use it in a different room? I can see that would get on my nerves over time. I have learned to not live with something that annoys me just because. lol. There are too many annoyances in our lives (especially in 2020.) to have to live with something in our home that we don't want to live with. Find something that fits that you would be happy with;)

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Return it if possible or sell it and cut your losses. Since there is no picture of your log bed, it is hard to maybe come up with a solution...unless you have a larger room to put it into or put an addition on your house.

A possibility is to cut both ends of the frame and make 2 outdoor couches, of course you'd need new cushions.

I am getting the idea the queen bed is almost too large for the room too, maybe gives you a little side of the bed wiggle space, but the log style pushed it beyond the limit of practicality.

When our 2 boys were small, I ran into a similar difficulty when we lived in a single wide trailer, we bought bulky pine bunk beds that did fit into their room and up against a side wall ( looked great in the store), it was so difficult to make the beds, especially the upper bunk. When we moved, we just left them there.

• Mike T
    Mike T

Yes, I agree try and sell it as it sounds a unusual bed and there must be plenty of people who have the space for this unusual bed. Try eBay but put a few good pictures with dimensions with your advert.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Tandy, if you can't return it, maybe you could sell it! You may even want to try to exchange it for just a double bed for a spare room. You could sell it as well there are likely many log home owners that would love it in their place. Good luck!

One other thing you can try is night shelves beside the bed, no room for a stand but mount shelves on the wall to put alarm clocks, lamps etc. on.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Can you do suspended table or on the wall? Make the bedding and room as light as possible for appearance.

• Annie
    Annie

Hi Tandy, i second the idea of trying to exchange it at the store for a double, which would be better for the size of your room.

Or advertise it for sale in your local Facebook groups. It sounds like a lovely bed for a country style house!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would maybe try and sell it or move it downstairs or somewhere else where a guest could use it. If it takes up that much space, it is going to be hard to enjoy your bedroom. I don't really see anyway you could alter it, unless you could take the headboard or baseboard off it and find something more simple.

• Dee
    Dee

I would sell it and the sheets that go with it. Keep any bedspreads or quilts. Then I would get a full size bed. Costco, and Sams sell them fairly reasonable and they are name brands. The quilts etc will look great on the full bed because they are longer. I actually use a king size on my queen size bed.

• Pat
    Pat

Without seeing the size of your room....can your bed go across the corner of your room? That way both of you could get into bed and it will be easier to make. A lamp could go into the corner behind it, I agree to return it or sell it if you can't make it work.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

is there another way you could put the bed? in front of a window or in the corner so you have room for tables, etc? I would try arranging the bed in different areas of the room (empty everything out first) then add back your other pieces. you could always make a sofa out of the bed and buy another one for your room

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/177470041540995154/

• Do you have a photo of the bed so we can see it? It's hard to imagine how to reconfigure it without a visual.

Betsy

Hi Tandy: One suggestion is to put it up for sale and get a bed that is more conducive to your space :) If you like the look of a log bed, you could use bed coverings to reflect that. If you haven't had it that long, maybe you can return it. You might have to take a bit of a hit on the price if you sell it, but it's better than hating what you have. Good luck

Betsy

A geeze, that's too bad. But, still, I'd cut my losses and see if I could find something similar or that you love just as much. With your issues, you want something that will make life easier on you. The more it makes you hurt to care for it, the more you are going to dislike it, and you don't want to do that. I know what you are going through with loving a piece of furniture and it just not working out. But, if someone buys it, they will love it just as much. Take care of yourself and good luck.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Is the frame and or mattress too wide? What size of bed did you have in that area before? You should take some measurements so whatever new bed you decide on will be a more appropriate size for your bedroom.

I carry a tape measure in my purse all the time and have used this many times.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Is the mattress too big or just the bed? Maybe a piece of bed can be removed? Like if the headboard is too wide remove that?

• Em
    Em

Can you put casters on the bed to move it to make the bed up? Instead of bedside tables. mount lamp to the wall or headboard. Make shelves instead of bedside tables attached tot he wall as well. Not much you can do to make the bed smaller or the room bigger unless you can knock down a wall.

• Can you remove some elements of it and it still be functional? If you can, that might help.