Brand preference

Becky at Flipping the FlipJames V. JordanAgnes Chrzanowska
+18

Just interested to know, in terms of purchasing a "saw" do you guys prefer brand name first or only quality? comparatively which one you personally look at

• I don't go with brands - quality counts. Harbor Freight has some great prices!

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

We purchased a Kobalt instead of a Dewalt miter saw to save a few dollars a few years ago. We wanted a deeper cut. We gave our hand me down Craftsman to our son and it still works fine.

All in all I think the purchase price might depend on how much use it will get and your budget.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Chainsaw: husqvarna only. Skilsaw: not picky but with a laser light to cut by is great.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

my husband does by brand but then he looks at the ones on display and checks out the features, safety rating, etc before deciding

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

When faced with this decision, we read the reviews and make a decision from there. We've had good luck with Black and Decker saws.

• Dee
    Dee

My husband like Dewalt and Makita. He does look at the safety features, and if possible we get it on sale at Lowes or Home Depot. Not a fan of Harbor Freights.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

I agree with staying away from Harbor freight. Sells cheap stuff all made in China.

• My husband loves Ryobi at Home Depot. He bought it because of the price, not the name, and now has several of their saws.

Betsy

Hi James: You don't say if you are looking for hand saws or power saws. However, I prefer brand names as they are usually the ones with quality. And, they stand behind their products better than off brands. And, I try to find saws that are made in the USA. Hope this helps.

• Annie
    Annie

My husband really likes the quality of Makita. He has a couple Ryobi tools as well.

• Mogie
    Mogie

I like to do some research before buying any brand. Some off brands are as good as their pricey cousins. Read reviews. I have learned a lot doing that.

If you go to amazon you can read customer reviews from people that have bought and used the item. If you rely on manufacturer's they always tell you their product is the best.

• Seth
    Seth

Many of the big name brands are now made outside of the U.S. It is hard to compare models because the manufacturer does not always list what all the differences are. For example, are some of the critical parts plastic instead of metal. You will need to do some research to figure it all out. I have a Makita circular saw that I love. My mitre saw and table saw are DeWalt. Power is a huge difference maker. My first cordless drill was a Ryobi. My newest ones are Dewalt and are far better than the Ryobi. As someone else here said, it depends on how much use it will get. I look at tools as a long term investment. Buy the best you can afford now and build your tool collection over time. if you need a particular tool for a one time project, then a Harbor Freight tool might do the trick. Possibly no more money than renting, and if it does not last, no big deal.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi, Brand first, then compare quality and price before purchase. Hope that helps.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I know my husband swears by Dewalt products.

• Deb K
    Deb K

I love my Makita!

• I always check the reviews regardless of brand name and price

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I like to pick one up to see how it feels. If it's too heavy or awkward, it'll never get used, no matter what else makes it appealing. Good luck!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I would look first at its warranty when making decision

• James V. Jordan
    James V. Jordan

thanks guys for your help

• Quality first, absolutely. It depends on what type of saw. Different brands are better for different tools.