How to Bleach Pinecones

$5

I love using different textures and natural elements in my home decor.

Several years ago I had this idea to try bleaching pinecones. Even though they are neutral already, I thought it would be fun to experiment and see if I could get them a lighter color, so I wanted to share “how to bleach pinecones” with you

supplies needed for bleaching pinecones

To bleach pinecones, you will need to gather your pinecones. You will also need a gallon of bleach and a large plastic container.

step one

You will mix 3 parts bleach to 1 part water in your container. You need enough of the liquid mixture to cover your pinecones. If this is not enough liquid, you will need to add more bleach and water or bleach fewer pinecones at a time.

step two

To make sure the pinecones stay submerged, you will need to weigh them down. I just filled my empty bleach container with water and laid it on top of the pinecones

step three

I left my pinecones submerged for a couple of days, then drained the bleach water off. You may not have to leave them this long, but I wanted to make sure they had soaked in the bleach really well.

After I drained them, I laid them out in the sun until they were completely dry (forgot to get a pic of that step).

Don’t be fooled by the color when you drain the bleach/water mixture off. Because they are still wet, they will still look like their original color. The color will fade as they dry out.

There have been a couple of times they didn’t bleach out as much as I liked, so I repeated the process.

finished bleached pinecones

When your pinecones are fully bleached, this is what they will look like.

Beautiful natural elements to add to you fall and holiday decor!

They look beautiful stacked in a bowl or......

use them on a place setting for a beautiful fall table!! (You can find these placemats  here).

They would be beautiful in any fall or Christmas decor.

I can see them piled into a dough bowl for an amazing centerpiece or even wired into a wreath or garland and draped over a fireplace mantel or front door.

I hope you have enjoyed this “how to bleach pinecones” tutorial. Please share if you try this. I love hearing from you

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Vintage Home

• LinneaSanchez
    LinneaSanchez

Can you add cinnamon essential oil to the pine cones after they dry?

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

Oh, I haven't tried that, but it's a great idea! I don't see why that wouldn't work.

• Patinbr
    Patinbr

Does anyone know if it is possible to open up pedals on closed pine cones? I am not able to find the large pine cones here in Baton Rouge. I would love to have someone ship me a box full and I will pay for shipping. They need to be at least 7 inches tall w/ pedals open

• Em
    Em

Doesn't the bleach smell linger on them?

• Jeanne Martin
    Jeanne Martin

Love this! They almost look gold!

• Dot
    Dot

Have tried this several times without success.......

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

Oh, I'm so sorry! I had a friend tell me she tried it recently and it didn't work, but we discovered she had used the splash free bleach which is a thicker solution and she used more water than bleach. Have you tried it with a traditional bleach solution and use more bleach than water?