How to take off wall paper ?

Becky at Flipping the FlipKathy Gunter LawMorgan McBride
+13

How can I peel off wall paper easily, I have high ceilings

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Ania, this is a big job I have done it, but it is worth all the work. Good luck with your project.

View all

How to Remove Peelable Wallpaper

1. Gather your Materials. Water. Wallpaper stripper. Spray bottle, garden sprayer or paint roller. Putty knife. ...
    2. Remove the Top Layer. Begin by peeling off the top layer of the wallpaper. Loosen the corner with a putty knife and pull the paper off the paper backing.
    3. Remove the Backing.

Oct 2, 2019

How to Remove Wallpaper (Easily!) | Architectural Digest

www.architecturaldigest.com › story › how-to-remove-wa...

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

Steam is always the best way. It is worth hiring a wall paper steamer to do the job.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Ania. Begin by protecting floors and electric outlets. Lay down a tarp, old sheets, or whatever you have on hand. Leave the outlet cover on and protect the entire area with painters tape. Find an edge to your wallpaper and pry it up using a scraper. Try to pull it off. If it doesn't come off, you should use a scoring tool. It will slightly perforate the outer layer and will allow hot water to penetrate to the glue. Use light pressure to run the scoring tool over the entire wall. Now it's time to apply hot water. You can mix one part fabric softener and 3 parts hot water. OR one part vinegar and 2 parts hot water. Mix hot water from your tap with either product in a household pressure sprayer. Work in small sections at a time. Spray the water on and let it set 15 minutes. Water the next section while trying to remove the paper from the first section. This job requires a lot of elbow grease and patience Ania. Good luck. I hope you are well.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. For your safety I might recommend renting scaffolding or contracting the help.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

To strip wallpaper, you want to score it with a scoring tool like this: https://amzn.to/3kssNLz

Then use a spray bottle of wallpaper remover to lightly spray a small section at a time. Personally, I have had the best success with a steamer for removing the wallpaper.

• Rent a steamer or hire someone to do it.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello again,

Steamer is the best bet!

• Janice
    Janice

First, check to see if the wallpaper is the removable type which can usually be removed in large strips. If not, use a scoring tool in lasrge circular motions. This breaks the surface of the paper and any moisture applied will soak in better for easier removal. You can use a spray bottle with very warm water and spray on the paper, let set for a few minutes and then remove with a plastic scraper. You don't want to get the wall soaking wet or you may damage the dry wall behind the paper. A steamer would be very helpful. It is a tedious and messy job . Good Luck to you!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I have great luck with this method: peel off the top layer. Then wet the paper that’s still stick until it’s soaked. Use a plastic scraper to get it off.

• Annie
    Annie

Are you sure it isn't strippable paper? Because that will be a breeze to take it off. Otherwise, yes wet the paper till it is soaked. FFT has the same idea, I had to do this with a wallpaper border I wanted down.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

Here is what we used to remove wall paper in our home: https://www.aratariathome.com/blog/sun-room-paint-reveal

• Oh gosh, it's a big job. Steaming and scraping works best. High ceilings are tough since you'll be reaching overhead. Honestly, in this old house, we gave up and painted over it. Looks great.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Although not easy, this is by far the best method I have used:

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

• Try first spraying it with hot water, it might release easily.