Tattered Table Top to Textured Beauty

$10

Well I am still on my mission to furnish our condo on the cheap since it is a temporary situation. My husband and I found this table in local paper free section. Of course when we got there the chairs were gone! But the table had good bones so in the truck it went. The table top had seen better days but the base really didn’t need much to spruce it up.

It took some time to get deep scratches out
I took to sanding the top

I had to get a rough grade sheet of sanding paper because some of the scratches were pretty deep. I didn’t worry to much about sanding the whole thing since I was going to put a textured Paint look on it. Once I got it even enough I taped it off and got start for my multi layered painting.

Applying base coat
Of course before I painted my base coat

I applied my nifty liquid sander prior to painting on my base coat. Since I was only worried about the tabletop I taped off the lower rim and will leave it natural wood.

Adding first color
I used a black acrylic paint to start my textured paint

I started with black Acrylic paint and dry brushed with the wood grain across the top of table.

First coat of textured paint
I used various different colors of paint. I used whites, grey, blue and green acrylic paints

I used various paint colors I had around but I really wanted to make it pop so I decided to use my unicorn spit and add some bright colors.

Adding unicorn spit
I have done this technique many times

But really wanted to add many colors To the table top so I have different decorating options more colors the better. I was able to just squirt the unicorn spit stain colors in the areas I wanted and blend them in with my brush.

Starting to look textured
Once I got going it was fun

Every stroke brought more color and texture to the project. Once I complete the texture I always go back over with a dark colors to deepen it and sometimes I add white. Which I did with this one.

Here it is after clear coat
I applied clear polyurethane on table top

Once I completed all my colors I go over it with my clear polyurethane. I save old kitchen sponges and use them on projects like this one. Once the first coat was dry I went over it with my sanding block to smooth out finish. Then I went over it again with polyurethane in opposite direction to fill in any grooves from brush. Like I said earlier the base and rim were fine but dull so I went over all the legs and table top rim with polyurethane to complete the project.

Finished
I picked up these chairs at a yard sale

There was 6 chairs at a yard sale and they really wanted to get rid of them so I got all six chairs for $15.00 And they work great with my new textured table. I love how it turned out and of course I love the price. Second item in my furnish my condo for cheap challenge. Let me know your thoughts and Thank you for looking!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before