Fluted Nightstand

$80

I finished off my sons room with a diy nightstand using a wire spool from the hardware store and some wooden dowels.

Starting off with a wire spool that I got for free from the hardware store, 3/4” dowels, and a piece of plywood, I got started.

Doing a sample cut was a good idea, and I moved it all around the spool to make sure it would fit all the way around.

Setting up a guide stop is the best way to go if you are doing multiple cuts that are the same size. This made it super quick and easy, since I didn’t have to measure each piece, and each piece cut exactly the same.

Having the dowels all cut at once is handy and a time saver. For my 20” spool, I used between 75-100 cut dowels. I got 4 pieces out of one 4ft dowel.

A quick sand on each end was all these needed.

Then simply begin inserting dowels and nailing with a nail gun. I flipped it on it’s side and nailed from top and bottom as I worked my way around.

To finish off the top of the spool, I traced the top and cut out a circle using my jigsaw. I then nailed this onto the spool for a smooth finished top.

To add some height I added feet before attaching the dowels.

I then used flagstone stain to get the color I wanted. I used a rag and did a light coat.

My son loves his new nightstand.

I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and it finishes off the room perfectly!!!

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Everything Red For Canada Day
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Mimi Lafeurs
    Mimi Lafeurs

It is beautiful! You can leave a small space in the back without the dowels for storage. And you can’t see from the front. Looks very high end

• Christie Decker
      Christie Decker

That was my thought too, a nice hidden storage spot, children love hiding things, this prevents it from being seen by 'nosy' siblings or friends, and Mom and Dad will like that the room looks neat when they make use of the hidden storage.

• Lucy Collins
    Lucy Collins

That looks really nice! Did you make his bed as well?

• Kathy
      Kathy

Share info on the bed construction!!

from what is visible in the photos... it’s gorgeous!!

• Barbara Saxman
    Barbara Saxman

what do you use the wire for?

• DEE
    DEE

Wow!

• Sewtime
    Sewtime
    An hour ago

Love this idea. I told my husband that I want to find a small spool and make a table to set drinks on. I am getting a new covered porch, I think it would be great between our rocking chairs. Thank you for sharing!!