Worn Out Rubber Front Door Doormat Makeover

$6

I bought a recycled rubber doormat from Lowes exactly one year ago. It was really pretty, but not for long. The colored finish began wearing off after only a few months. Yes I could go back to Lowes and buy another mat but there's no fun in that and it was not going to last anyway. Our front door is almost never used everyone comes in thru our garage door, it's pretty much "out of sight out of mind". Now that I am working from home I have more time than ever for "projects". As I do every so often I was in the mood to freshen up the front door stoop. I do use the front door to step out to water my plants and it was time. I found the colorful flag for the wall and moved some plants around.

THAT DOOR MAT HAD TO GO.

That mat is toast

Removed remaining paint

Used a wire brush and it took about 5 minutes. Actually looks better already. I wondered what would happen it I sprayed it with Armorial (?) I was pretty sure nothing would stick if I tried it and then wanted to paint.

Remove the corners

Don't know why but I felt removing the square corners around the medallion was the thing to do. Those scrap pieces actually came in handy for testing paint to get the right colors and thickness's.

Materials gathered

I'm set up under the tree ready to get to work and it begins to rain. Need to move to the garage. Had to move the car outside, drop cloth down and set up again.

Moved into the garage

I have no plan nor expectation of what's going to happen . I just begin.

Progress is pretty fast

I'm mixing colors as I go and have no idea where it's going but soon it is almost done. Took about an hour or so.

Needs to dry before adding the accents.

Accents added

Wow that's a lot of color! I'm thinking that purple may need to go. I did not go with the green thinking it would be too dark, now I rethinking my choice.

SHOULD I repaint the purple the dark green?

The before and after

I will spray a sealer on it in a couple days. HD paint person said it would "not last long". Well neither did the original finish.

That might be a good thing but it was a fun after noon.

The life of a door mat from beginning to end

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!

• Patty
    Patty

What kind of paint do you use?

• J Brown
      J Brown

I used a combination of paints. Acrylic paint had been suggested so I bought several colors of acrylic from the thrift store bin. They were to stiff/thick so I watered them down to make them more fluid. Then I needed to lighten colors so I used some off white latex I had in the garage.