Stairway Refresh

$33

I’ve always loved stairways inside homes. Maybe because I grew up in a town filled with bungalows, where stairways were rare. Our current house has an oak staircase, which is nice, but I’ve always found it to be a little dark and heavy looking. I thought about painting the risers white to brighten them up, but my last house had white risers and they always seemed to look a little scuffed and dirty. So I decided to go with something less permanent and hopefully with a little more character.

Before

I ordered vinyl staircase stickers from amazon. There were so many great styles and colours to choose from! The main accent colour throughout our home is teal, so I decided to go with colours that would tie in. When they arrived, the blue looked a little bright and I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous!

Decals

They were rolled up tight and they curled up every time I tried to open one! So I straightened them out in a stack and laid a paint can on each end and left them overnight. The next day they were perfectly flat!

Uncurling

I washed the stairs and risers and started at the bottom step and worked my way up with the stickers. I peeled the backing off the right side of my sticker and aligned the right side as straight as I could on the right side of the stair riser. Then I gradually peeled off the backing, working in roughly one-foot sections until each section was as smooth as possible. I used the squeegee from my Mod Podge kit to smooth the stickers from right to left, using the top of the risers as my guide.  

Attaching decals

Once I reached the left side, I trimmed the excess sticker off of the end, as well as the bottoms, using an X-acto knife.

Note: On one riser I decided not to worry about how perfectly straight the right side lined up because I figured I could easily trim that off too. This was a mistake because I was fighting the curve the entire way along to keep it aligned at the top! It was worth the effort to make sure the starting point was as straight as possible.

Cutting away the excess

And here is the final result! Since I can’t go to the beach, I can daydream about it every time I climb the stairs. 😊 I’m sure this project will be a little over the top for some people, but my daughter and I absolutely love it! There’s not much colour on our main floor so I think this adds a nice pop.  

I think this was an easy and cost effective refresh of our stairway. And the nice part is that I can easily remove them later or swap them for a different style or pattern.

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

• Jean Sukkert
    Jean Sukkert

You should painta palm tree on the side next to the stairs and under the stairs, sand and a chair, umbrella maybe bucket, ball, pail towel, etc...

Love the idea, wish I had stairs.

• Valerie Burge
      Valerie Burge

Great ideas! Unfortunately I am not very good at painting stuff like that. If I attempted that it would surely turn into a big mess. LOL

• Carol Calhoun
    Carol Calhoun

That’s one of the coolest staircase upscale dive seen. Wish I had some stairs in my house! Great job!!!!!