How to String Outdoor Solar Lights With This Cheap Hack!

$250
1 Day

Create your own relaxing backyard fireside retreat by learning how to string outdoor solar lights with this cheap hack!

For more DIY ideas and family fun be sure to visit Hammers N Hugs!

If you are new to these parts, then first of all welcome I am so glad you’re here. But I also need to fill you in on two things that I really love…

Fire.

And solar energy.

Random? Just keep reading.

I am always looking for an excuse to burn something whether it be one of the 3,597 candles in our tiny little 1400 sq ft French Country cottage fixer upper or a campfire to roast sausages, saute veggies and sing Kum-Ba-Yah together.

I also love solar energy.

Solar energy just makes sense to me. So much so that we have installed a solar system on 2 of our 3 fixer uppers now.

In fact, you should read all about how you could potentially qualify for a FREE solar system like we did and actually make money doing it (lots of incentive bonuses being offered right now)!

When we bought this French Country Cottage fixer upper the back yard looked something like this.

I had visions of raised garden beds and a fire pit with solar lights like you see in so many of these gorgeously stunning Pinterest photos.

I love when old barrels are used as planters, but do you know how expensive they are?!

Or just finding ANY planter tall enough to function as a base for a 4×4 for less than $100 each?

So I improvised. I found a budget solution for creating your own backyard fireside retreat with solar lights.

Tah-dah! Trash cans! $20 each.

As you can see they worked beautifully! 

Without further ado let’s chat about how to string outdoor solar lights with this garbage can hack.

I promise it is EASY.

SPRAY THE TRASH CANS

(OPTIONAL: IF YOU WANT A DIFFERENT COLOR)

PLACE 5 GALLON BUCKET IN TRASH CAN AND LEVEL.

**Be sure to drill holes in the bottom or the sides of the trashcan first to allow for water run off as this will become a planter! (we forgot to do this!)**

PLACE THE POST IN THE 5 GALLON BUCKET AND LEVEL.
FILL THE 5 GALLON BUCKET WITH QUIKRETE AND WATER.

It starts to set very quickly and you can let go in approx 10 minutes.

FILL THE TRASH CAN WITH POTTING SOIL.

ATTACH THE SOLAR LIGHTS TO THE TOP OF THE POSTS!

AFTER!

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Ahna Fulmer // Hammers N Hugs

• Audrey NeNe Gates
    Audrey NeNe Gates

Love the idea but what about drainage for the flower pot aide of the posts/trash can?

• Pat
    Pat

The advantage of this project is that the uprights can be rolled to another location if need be. But it seems that the cost of the trash cans would exceed the cost ofhiring someone to dig four holes for the uprights and eliminate the trash cans altogether, which frankly, are not so attractive. Once in the ground, the uprights could also be used for a gazebo or for outdoor curtains. My question is rhetorical... why makes things harder?

• Deb Weaver
      Deb Weaver

you could coat the trash cans with quick set concrete to conceal their humble origins

• Sue
    Sue

How is this project cheap?

• Samantha Scorsese
    Samantha Scorsese

I love this idea!! Especially the portable part, as I rent! I am a collector (thats not what others call me lol) of anything useful. I have those pvc fencing post pieces in my yard and was wondering what your thoughts would be about substituting the wooden post for the pvc post?! I even have the long flat pieces that go in between them!

• Tonya
    Tonya

Exactly what I need to enjoy my back yard while I chill out with the family! tfs