How I Painted a Faux Rug on Our Front Steps

$45

I wanted to share with you how I painted a faux rug on our front steps. I am seriously loving how it turned out!

It was LOTS of work, but so worth it in the end. My rug is very simple and I'm sure you could really go elaborate if you wanted to, but for me, I chose easy for the first time around!

Here's what paints I used:

1 Gal. Ultra Pure White Textured Low-Lustre Enamel Interior/Exterior Anti-Slip Porch and Patio Floor Paintand a small can of Behr Ultra Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One in the Exterior Flat Deep base and had them tint it in black.

You will also need paint rollers, a foam brush and an old paint brush you don't care about ruining. Concrete is VICIOUS and rough on your supplies!

STEP 1: PAINTING THE BASE

I gave the steps a good cleaning and then painted the entire thing white. I used a small roller brush to apply the paints.

It's already looking much better! The paint that was on the steps was not for porches and was starting to chip off in places. Also, the concrete is very old and pitted, so it took two heavy coats of paint with lots of tapping brush work to fill in all the cracks and holes. I almost used the entire gallon of white paint.

STEP 2: MARKING GUIDE LINES
Later in the evening after the paint was really good dry, we marked the lines for the tape to go down each step. Trust me, you need guide lines on a space this big! This part is totally up to you on how you want your end result to look. We measured in from each side, 18 inches and marked a line.

We laid the 2 inch painter's tape on the line we just made and then measured 3 inches over from the tape edge and made another line. I knew I wanted my white stripes smaller than the black stripes.

This is how our pencil marks looked all the way down. This was my guide to lay down the tape on either side.

STEP 3: LAYING DOWN THE TAPE
The next day I got to taping off the stripes and got ready to paint. Since the tape is 2 inches wide, this left my white stripes 2 inches wide and the black stripes 3 inches wide.NOTE: You want to rub the edges of the tape down as best as you can, its a chore and makes your fingers sore, but its necessary to keep as much paint as you can from seeping under the tape.WARNING: Paint still gets under the tape!

STEP 4: PAINTING ON THE "RUG"
Again, I used a small sponge roller (a new one because the one from the white paint was destroyed by the rough concrete) to paint on the flat black paint. I took a good two coats and then lots of touch ups with a sponge brush too. The concrete is not smooth and has lots of pits and chips to fill.

STEP 5: REMOVE PAINTER'S TAPE
After two heavy coats of paint, I let it completely dry and then I removed the painter's tape.

Oh wow! It looks awesome from way back here! Lol!

STEP 6: TOUCH UPS
Up close, not so much! No matter how careful you put down the tape, it's going to seep under, it just is, its rough concrete! I used a small sponge brush and the white paint and touched up the line to make them sharper. Don't drink lots of coffee before this task! lol!

STEP 7: ADMIRE YOUR HANDY WORK - LOTS!
Now to let it dry really well overnight. I was so excited about how it turned out that I bet I came outside 15 more times just to stare at it! Ha!

Let me know what you think down below! Would you try this type of project? It's kinda tedious, but so worth the end results! Thanks for stopping by to see me!

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
DeeDee

• Julie
    Julie

Did you seal it at all, or maybe you don’t need to with the kind of paint you used? Looks terrific!

• DeeDee
      DeeDee

Hi Julie! Thank you so much! No I didn’t seal it, the porch paint does not need to be sealed. :)

• Sandi Landi
    Sandi Landi

I think it came out really Great way better than I thought it would definitely a Win !

• Dawn Wallace
    Dawn Wallace

Would the same paint work in a wood porch step?

• DeeDee
      DeeDee

Hi Dawn! I’m pretty sure it would because it’s porch and patio paint. Your lumber yard paint person should be able to tell you for sure though! :)

• Donna
    Donna

oh you not only ROCKED your project you ROCKED your porch too Love it Love it

• June
    June

Love it! It looks awesome!