Make an Insect Hotel From an Old Drawer

$0

Here's how to turn an old drawer from a tatty chest of drawers and into an insect hotel for your garden.

If you don't have an old drawer, you can also find my free plans for an insect hotel made with scraps of wood.

Here's one of the drawers. It may look salvageable, but it was moldy, warped and in terrible condition.

So, I was asked for an ITV TV show to turn it int an insect hotel.

First, I cut it up at an angle, and in a way where I could use the excess sides as shelves.

Note, it's on an angle so the rain would run off.

After cutting the excess pieces to the same internal width, I gave my insect hotel roof.

I'm now clamping and screwing it together.

For any shelves, I used blocks of offcuts as a depth gauge, then screwed my next shelf in.

The repeated the same again for the next shelf.

I then drilled loads of holes in the offcuts for bees - around 6mm and cut and slotted in dowels, again drilled and secured them with a glue gun.

I also added pine cones, twigs and leaves before stapling them in to secure and keep predators, like birds out from having a feast.

And stapled on some offcut roof felt.

Here's how it looked.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
The Carpenter's Daughter

• Mary Russell
    Mary Russell

I wonder if this would help keep the bees from trying to destroy my back(treated wood)porch roof trusses.The so-called bee traps sure don't.

• Virginia
    Virginia

Not a bee lover! We pay to have them removed! Just wondering why you would welcome them? Looks cute, so I must be missing something.

• Lainey
      Lainey

Hi, Virginia! You raise a good question that I believe many people have. Bees are not just important - they are critical to our food supply. They are the opposite of pests that we typically attribute to many other insects. Ask any farmer. This is not liberal "tree-hugging" stuff; this is the reality of the food chain and so much more than if we have honey for our tea or flowers in our gardens. I'm no expert but my understanding is that a huge percentage of crops rely SOLELY on bees for their pollination and continuation of the essential food we eat. It is a worldwide problem. Thank you again bringing up this relevant question!

• Lillyrose
    Lillyrose

I understand the reason for building a home for bee's. Ones I have seen on here before have different sized holes in their critter homes. So what is the purpose of providing a home for other insects.

• Ladywell
      Ladywell

Offering a sanctuary to beneficial insects, especially pollinators, insect hotels are considered to be the urban solution to declining population of beneficial insects in human environments due to habitat loss, pollution and abuse of pesticides.

"entomologist lounge"

• Happy stroller
    Happy stroller

Yes I most certainly well I’m in the middle of purchasing a new home as soon as I get in my new home that is going to be one of the things I feel I put at the edge of my property. And I agree people do not understand the true beginning of our food chain

• Pam
    Pam

I will build them a hotel or a mansion! If they will quit trying to eat my shed. Wonder if I should put it nearby (ick) so they won’t miss it.