How do i make a silver glaze for chalk painted buffet

Chas' Crazy CreationsK. RuppDeb K
+14

I chalk painted a small buffet navy blue and then added wax. but did not like the finish. Too boring. So, I removed the wax and now want to put a silver glaze over top. Very transluscent so the navy blue shines through.I have a clear glaze and some metallic silver paint on hand. I also have a metal and patina glaze in copper. so, what would be the best to use? Can I just add water to the silver metallic paint or should I add the silver paint to the glaze? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would mix a small amount of the silver and clear glaze, then test it. It sounds like it would work but it would be quite a bit of work if you aren't happy with the results.

Also, you might want to check out RustOleum Metallic Accents paint line. The white pearl thinned would give it a beautiful sheen.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

I've never worked with glazes so I won't comment on that however, I Have worked with RustOleum's metallic paint line and it is incredible. You may want to check them out if your current attempts don't give you the result you're looking for.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Rita, If you are not liking the glaze and can't not find a suitable combo, Miss mustard Seed's Milk Paint line makes a wax (that could have been applied over the wax you had on called Zink. It is a beautiful (but soft) silver shimmer to it. Alternatively, Annie Sloan also has a Guilding Wax in Silver which could have been applied to details etc... to give them a beautiful silver glimmer.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

I just discovered Rustoleum chalk paint makes a silver and gold. I love it. You can use that, just brush on and wipe off to your desired look. Once done always apply a top clear coat for protection. Not wax

William

Add the silver paint to the glaze. Make a few samples to get the right finish your looking for. I assume the silver paint is not water based so dn't add water to it or it in water.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would add the silver paint to the glaze..... both should either be oil or water-based, don't mix opposites.

• Rita Avery
    Rita Avery

Thank you for all the helpful tips. Now it is just a matter of deciding the finish. I am going to paint a piece of cardboard navy and then add different finishes. Thank you

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Rita,

You could lightly spray with silver and then use a Clear Craft Varnish. It might be possible to combine the two together, but i have never tried it myself!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

Dixie Bell sells paint ..check that website

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I would try Jolie Gilding Wax. I've onlu purchased it on Amazon, but, some craft shops may carry it to. Good luck!

• Ariel
    Ariel

This may be what you're looking for https://amzn.to/2JjZz3P

• You could do either but try doing a test first on some scrap to see which accomplishes the look you’re after.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Rita, how about something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qD_oyKZxck

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

ok, be careful with mixing metallics and glazes. So, when I was looking into this exact thing, I was told that you have to mix oil based with oil based. So your glaze has to be oil based if you are using a metallic that is oil based. Make sense? Many of the amazing metallics are not water based, but finding an oil based glaze can be tricky. You will have to go to somewhere like Budekes or Benjamin Moore where they specialize in paints to find an oil based glaze. If you have a water based metallic, then you can use a water based glaze right off the shelf at Home Depot. Once you find it then you can mix glaze 1 part paint: 3 parts glaze. Hope this helps!

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

You can buy a silver paint you like and then mix it with clear glaze.