How to Restore Leather Seats

$12

I have 6 beautiful dining chairs that match my dining room suite. The chairs have leather seats. We only use this table and chairs on holiday. Every holiday when I pull out the chairs, there are more scratched from our pets. I finally decided to try to remedy the damage.

Damaged leather seat

Here is a picture of one of the dining seats with notable damage. You can see where the cat had scratched the leather over the course of a few years. My goal is to make the leather supple and beautiful again by diminishing the scratches as much as possible. I will try several different products and will compare the results in a roundup post.

Neatsfoot Oil

I checked the cupboards and found a bottle of Neatsfoot Oil. First, I wiped the seat to remove and dust and surface debris. I used a soft cotton rag and applied the oil liberally in a circular motion.

First Coat of Neatsfoot Oil

Here is the chair after one liberal application of Neatsfoot Oil. The leather absorbed the oil quickly. The scratches are still quite evident.

Two Coats of Neatsfoot Oil

Here is the seat after two liberal coats of Neatsfoot Oil. The Scratches are still obvious but the leather has really absorbed the oil and appears to be more healthy.

Three Coats of Neatsfoot Oil

And finally, here is the chair after three coats of Neatsfoot Oil. The chair is a richer color and while the scratches are still visible, they are definitely less obvious. I will reapply after every holiday to ensure the chair leather remains healthy.

• Neemfoot oil  (Lowe's)
  • Soft cotton rags  (Amazon)

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Shop at Blu