How To Make A Cutting Board From 1 Wood Board

$10

This project is part of a paid sponsorship with Worx Tools, however as always the thoughts & opinions are my own. I would never steer y’all wrong you are part of the Southern Yankee DIY family after all! Make An Easy DIY Cutting Board Out Of A Single Piece Of WoodHow much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could make a DIY cutting board? The answer is 1 board per beautiful cutting board! So I teamed up with Worx Tools to create an easy DIY cutting board using their brand new Maker X precision power tools! This entire line runs on a 20V power system which makes it super portable, plus it has a bunch of awesome attachments!

Supplies:
  • (1) Piece of ¾” Board 
  • Stain
  • Worx Jigsaw
  • Sanding Block
Trace Cutting board

Start by cutting out the wood cutting board design onto construction paper. You could also cheat like I did & have a Cricut machine cut it out for you! Trace the outline onto the ¾” sheet with a pencil. TIP: Use the flat surfaces of the board for 2 of the sides, this way you won’t have to worry about cutting those sides.

Cut Out Trace Using Jigsaw

Next, use a jigsaw to cut out the traced portion. This is just a rough cut so don’t panic about cutting super straight lines. 

Grinding Grooves & Edges

After the cutting board is cut out with the jigsaw I used the grinder attachment on the Worx Maker X to smooth the sides & finish the curved cutting portion around the handle of the cutting board.

Sand Cutting Board

After the wood cutting board shape was more defined I used a 220 grit sanding block to smooth the entire board.

Adding Design

I wanted to add a cool design to my wood cutting board so I cut out vinyl to place on the board.

Other Options

You could also use stickers or simply print out letters & use double sided tape to stick onto the board.

Applying Stain

Once I had the vinyl placed on the board I used the air brush attachment to apply 3 coats of stain on the cutting board. This attachment is my favorite, it applies the stain so evenly & makes it easy to adjust the paint flow.

Peel Off Vinyl

After the stain was applied & mostly dry I peeled the vinyl off. The two toned look of this cutting board is super cool & fun!

Drill A Hole

The last thing I did was use the Maker X rotary tool with the drill bit attachment to drill a hole onto the handle portion, so I could loop some twine through in case I wanted to hang it at some point. 

After

I am so excited about this DIY cutting board & I think it’s going to look amazing on the brand new butcher block countertop in the pantry!

Ta-Da

The Worx Maker X tool system made this project a breeze with all of the fun tool attachments & I was able to complete this entire project using 1 battery!

Finished Cutting Board

Now I have a whole list of DIY cutting board plans I want to tackle in the future now that I know how easy it is to make one! Let me know what y’all think & if you have the Maker X what your favorite attachment is! 

Find more Southern Yankee DIY projects here

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY