IKEA Dresser Makeover With Diy Flower Knobs

$15

During my guest bedroom makeover, I debated whether or not to try and use some Ikea furniture that had recently been cast off from my girls' rooms. The dresser and bedside table were not in horrible shape but nothing special....

Notice the small standard black knobs that come on most IKEA dressers (above), this is what I used to make a big difference in the overall look.  

Step 1 - Paint Dresser

Remove the knobs and consider painting the base color of the dresser/bedside table. I chose a deep green and used spray paint, but you could also use chalk paint. These aren't wood so I would not recommend using regular paint. I did not want paint to drift onto the inside of the drawers or sides, so I used a large trash bag to cover the rest of the drawer and painters tape to secure it.

Step 2 - Make the Petals

Cut the "heads" off of 10 disposable bamboo spoons (five per knob) using medium garden shears.

Step 3 - Attach the Petals

Using the knobs which were removed from the dresser, add a decent amount of mortar to the back of the knob being careful not to get it on the sides or face of the knob. Arrange the bamboo spoon heads in a circular fashion to resemble a flower. Let mortar dry 24 hours before doing anything else.

Step 4 - Paint the Flower

Choose paint color for the knob. I used a brass gold rustoleum spray paint. Two coats. If this was for a kid's room, you could use differnt colors.

Step 5 - Re-assemble

Once your paint dries, put the knobs back on and ENJOY!

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Flawless Chaos

• Yvonne
    Yvonne

can u use plastic spoons?

• Flawless Chaos
      Flawless Chaos

Hi Yvonne,

Yes, you can but plastic is hard to paint and flimsy. I actually tried plastic first but the paint peeled right off.

Good luck!

• Louise
    Louise

How sturdy are these new knobs?

• Flawless Chaos
      Flawless Chaos

I would say they are fairly sturdy, especially if you use the bamboo spoons they don't bend and the mortar keeps them in place, there's no wobble at all.

• Carolyn
    Carolyn

Positively adorable. Would do well in a child's room or just as beautifully in an adult's. Love the color choice!!

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Cute!