Bar Update With Contact Paper and Left Over Wallpaper.

$10.00

I had a built in wet bar that was straight out of the 70's. I gave it an inexpensive update with some contact paper and leftover wallpaper.

We had a wet bar in our house that was outdated. It needed an major overhaul! We have so many major projects on our to do list so I was looking for a quick and inexpensive solution.

I started by removing the old shelves. They were not only ugly, but too narrow and pretty useless.

Once I got the shelves removed, I was ready to clean it up and start the transformation.

I started with a roll of contact paper that looks like Carera marble. I used the wider version for fewer seams. It measured 17.71" x 78.7".

I cut the paper to size. The grid on the back was super helpful!

Then I peeled the backing off a corner and began adhering the contact paper to the surface. I smoothed with my hand as I went trying to prevent air bubbles.

I used an exacto knife to trim in the corners and around obstacles.

I did the same process for the "backsplash" piece. I made sure the edges were crisp.

The seams blended very well. They are really hard to find.

Next, I decided to use some leftover grasscloth wallpaper I had from another project.

I measured the space and cut the paper.

This wallpaper was not pre-pasted so I rolled on the wallpaper paste.

Then I put the wallpaper up using my hand to smooth it out along the way.

I used my exacto knife to trim along the edges as needed.

Overall, it was a great improvement for very little money and effort!

I really love the new look. This little sink and bar area get minimal use so I was not worried about the durability so much but it seems pretty durable so far! Next, I will be building new shelves and I will share those when they are done!

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas

• Karen
    Karen

Couldn’t you put a coat of something over the contact paper to make it water proof?

• Dee
      Dee
      Just now

I wouldn't mess with trying to waterproof the contact paper. It is cheap and easy enough to replace. What I would look for is a left over piece of laminate countertop from Lowes, Home Depot or Habit for Humanity.

Love the grasscloth wallpaper. You did a great job.