Wood Effect Lamp Upcycle

$0

My instinct is to paint everything- mostly white! I had painted this lamp but wanted to transform it back to the wood/whitewashed finish that it was originally. So this project was a project redo/reversal!

This is the before. I had used an Ivory eggshell paint to paint over a whitewashed wood effect on the original lamp. For a while I had been thinking about changing it back to wood as I’ve been inspired to have a bit more wood around the house. So one nap time I went for it!

Remove paint

First I used an old sponge to wash off as much paint as possible using a wax remover.

This worked well to ensure as little damage the finish underneath as possible and left a distressed look with the paint that was left behind in the crevices at the base of the lamp.

It then got a little harder to remove the paint on the main part of the lamp so I used a dish scourer too.

Distress

Finally I used some fine grit sandpaper to create more of a distressed look in places.

Add detail

The wood underneath was a little light for what I had imagined. So I took some dark wax to add some detail back in.

I applied this with a sponge very gently, hitting areas of the lamp at random. I then buffed straight away with a lint free cloth before the wax was dry to soften the colour and blend it in together.

Display!

This is the finished look! I love it, I’m so glad I took the plunge to experiment with it. I love how the finished result adds more texture to the room. It just shows how wood is so great to mix with white and neutrals for a more cozy feel!

To see more of this and other projects follow along on Instagram!

~ Rachel ♡

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/mapleandgrey/?hl=en

• Zeze
    Zeze

Oh yeah!! Very nice!

• Sandy
    Sandy

Hey Rachel. Is there a product that you know of that is comparable to the wax remover here in the States. I have never heard of your product. Thanks for any info.

• Rachel | mapleandgrey
      Rachel | mapleandgrey

Hi Sandy,

I’m not really sure, I found this product by accident and thought I would give it a go! It’s usually products from the US that I want and can’t get here!