Fabric Tissue Box Cover DIY

$4

You know how tissue boxes think they’re all cute and decorative but they're really not?

Well here’s a way to upscale any tissue box with just a little fabric and some sewing skills..

MEASURE YOUR TISSUE BOX

Take measurements to determine the size of the piece of fabric you’ll need to cut.

Measure around the box and add 1/2 inch for fit + 1 inch for seam allowance. This will be the length of fabric you’ll need to cut for the body of the cover.

Now measure from the top edge of the box to the bottom then multiply times 2 and add 1 inch for seam allowance. This is the width of the strip of fabric you’ll need to cut.

My box measured 18 1/2 around and 5 1/4 high so I needed a strip of fabric that was 20 long by 11 1/2 wide.

MAKE A PATTERN FOR THE TOP

Use a piece of paper or tracing paper and mark around the opening in the box. Then mark around the sides of the top all the way around to get your square top. Next you’ll need to draw your seam allowances. Draw a line 1/2 inch inside the opening all the way around on the pattern. This is where you’ll cut the opening The opening line is where you’ll sew the opening. Now add 1/2 inch seam allowance on each side of the box top pattern.

CUT YOUR FABRIC

I used a piece of leftover linen from the sheet I used to make my shower curtain. See how I made the shower curtain HERE

Cut your fabric strip for the body.

Cut 2 top pieces.

SEW THE TOP PIECES TOGETHER

Put the 2 top pieces right sides together and sew the opening 1/2 inch out from the edge of the cut opening. Now snip all around the opening about every 1/2 inch or so. Be careful to just go almost up to the stitching but not into it.

Next turn it right side out and press the opening.

ADD AN APPLIQUE

If you want an applique on your fabric tissue box cover, then you can add it to the front of the body piece before you sew it to the top piece.

Fold your 11 1/2 by 20 piece of fabric in half, wrong sides together, so it’s 5 3/4 by 20 and press the fold. Now find the placement you want for your applique and iron it onto the front of the fabric following the package instructions. I used an iron-on dragonfly applique I found on Etsy.

SEW THE BODY OF THE COVER TO THE TOP

Line the center of the body piece up to the center of the top front and pin in place.

When you get to a corner, snip the straight piece slightly so it will go around the corner and pin it.

Sew the body to the top with 1/2 inch seam allowance, pivoting at the corners making sure not to sew a pucker in the straight piece.

When you get to the back, stop about 1 1/2 inches from the middle on both sides to get ready to make the back seam.

SEW THE BACK SEAM

You’re going to have 2 ends of the folded piece in the back. Take the left and the right piece of the body that is closest to the box top and pin it at the 1/2 inch seam allowance so that it’s the same length as the top piece. Now open up the rest of the folded pieces as best you can and pin the back seam all the way from the front down past the fold and back up the back.

Now sew this seam making sure you don’t catch any other parts of the cover in your stitching.

When you’re done, you’ll have a complete back seam from the back all the way to the front.

Now fold the piece back up, pressing the seams open, especially at the fold. Then finish sewing the back of the body to the top.

Now finish the raw edge of the seam around the top and…

You’re done!

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Interior Redoux

• Mary DiStefano Dunmyer
    Mary DiStefano Dunmyer

Super idea and I want to do this. But Step 4 - do you need to leave an opening in the stitching around the oval so that you can turn the piece right side out?

• Interior Redoux
      Interior Redoux

Hi Mary!

I hope you try it!

You don't have to leave an opening in the oval stitching because it's open on all 4 sides so that allows you to turn it right side out.

Let me know how it turns out!

k

• Jen7888115
    Jen7888115

That's really cute! Thanks for the great idea and instructions!

• Susie Mach
    Susie Mach

Lovely... the delicate fabric and dragonfly really make this beautiful.