DIY Modern Headboard

$45

Materials:

• 3-1×2@6′
  • 7-1x4s@6′
  • 1 1/4″ wood screws
  • Paint or stain

Cut List:

• 3-1×2@61″
  • 5-1×4@61″
  • 3-1×4@22 7/8″

(These measurements are for a full size mattress.)

Cut all the boards as specified in the cut list.

I laid out all the boards on the ground to see the pattern I wanted first.

I attached the two end pieces first to connect the top and bottom horizontal boards. I brought it out flush with the end of the horizontal board then checked for square before attaching with a 1 1/4″ screw. I drilled slowly so I wouldn’t crack the board and stopped when the screw was almost flush with the board. Repeat for all four corners of the headboard.

Next, I just drilled in the rest of the boards in the pattern I arranged earlier. I used an 1/8″ spacer in between the boards as I was attaching them. I also added another 22 7/8″ board in the center for extra support.

Here it is completely assembled. Now it’s time to stain! I used Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner first then I used my go-to stain Minwax Early American. Seal with polycrylic if you choose.

FYI-This is a floating headboard so to hang you will need to buy or make a French cleat.

Love all the beautiful wood grain!

So happy with how this headboard turned out!

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas

• Sireesha
    Sireesha

This is absolutely gorgeous. Great job. Do you happen to know what kind of wood you used?

• James McLaughlin
    James McLaughlin

I would like to do this for a queen bed, just need to know how much⁰ wood I will along with meserment s too cut wood. Thanks for you time.

• Build It Thrifty
      Build It Thrifty
      4 minutes ago

The measurements I used may actually fit your queen since they are 60" wide. I used 61" boards because I wanted it to be as wide as the platform bed frame the mattress is on (updated picture above). I would just take a tape measure and see what would work for you. That's the great thing about making your own, it can be as wide as you want! :)

• Evelyn
    Evelyn

How was it attached to the wall ??

• Build It Thrifty
      Build It Thrifty

Yes what Jeanne said! Lol I made homemade French cleats out of a 1x4 board and secured to the studs.