Asked on Nov 2, 2020

How do I get my poured linoleum floor clean?

Agnes ChrzanowskaCatherine Deirdre RoddenSharon
+22

I moved into my apartment about 2.5 years ago and I have never been able to get the floor clean. I have tried everything from magic eraser, Ajax, comet, pine sol, brilliant, steam mop, etc. I cannot get the floor clean.

• Off the top of my head, call your landlord and ask exactly what was applied and the manufacturer name and / or product name. Then call their customer service line for instructions.

• Kimberly Fellows
      Kimberly Fellows

I had already asked my landlord and he doesn't remember who installed it. He said it was about 15 years ago. Im almost considering stenciling or tiling over it. Of course I would have to use tiles that I can pull up.

• Have you tried ammonia? I use it to clean floors. If they're especially dirty, use a stronger solution of ammonia and water and a scrub brush.

• Deb K
    Deb K

I like Naomie's suggestion, find out who made it ad contact them, and in the meantime, hope this helps, To start, combine 1-2/3 cups baking soda and 2 tablespoons of vinegar with ½ cup of water. Stir the ingredients, making sure all lumps dissolve. Then add the solution to a clean spray bottle. Spray your floor in sections and allow the solution a minute to dissolve any dirt.

• Tammy Nichols
      Tammy Nichols

I agree with Deb but I would add a little lemon juice and if there is spots ( I couldn’t really tell) you can make a paste with cream of tartar and lemon juice and place on spots. Let them sit a little them try using a magic eraser on them.

• Did you try researching this type of flooring online? You most likely will be able to find out more about it and how to clean it. Maybe try some TSP substitute powder mixed with water.

William

One cup of lemon scented ammonia to one gallon of hot water. I use it once a month to remove ground in dirt and old wax. Once a week I use Awesome floor cleaner

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

You are going to want to get a floor scrubbing machine. I have a very old one but it works so well... I love it! Something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/Gloss-Floor-Scrubber-Polisher-B200752/dp/B00063KZBA/ref=sr_1_5?crid=P5CV392AFOH2&keywords=floor+scrubber&qid=1554815451&s=gateway&sprefix=floor+scrub%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-5

You will get a great scrub and you don't have to scrub on your hands and knees! It works great on old linoleum floors. I have heard great things about the steamers but I don't know for your application. It sounds like you need a scrubber. Good luck!

Also, if you want to put down a floor over it that doesn't need to be grouted, check out the waterproof interlocking floating floor. They sell it at Home Depot or Lowes.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

1 cup baking soda

1 cup white vinegar

1 tbsp blue dawn

2 gallons hot water (I boil half of mine)

Mop with a liberally wet mop.

• Em
    Em

Try Awesome spray cleaner from the Dollar store. It gets dirt out and off of things nothing else does and is only $1 a bottle. Use a plastic scrub brush if the dirt has been there for a long time but usually you only need to let it sit for about 30 seconds.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Kimberly,

Maybe find out who laid it and ask them how you clean it. Ask any flooring company that pours linoleum, or maybe paint it! Just a thought - Have you tried Steam Cleaning it?

• Dee
    Dee

I use heated white vinegar, dawn and water to clean my floors

• PJ
    PJ

I had never heard of poured linoleum, so learned something today. Some of the products you’ve tried and some suggested here are pretty harsh. They could make the problem worse (speaking from experience : / ). I bet you could google some info. on cleaning that type of floor even if you don’t know the specific manufacturer. Good luck.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Once or twice a year, a deeper cleaning is needed to remove dirt that has become embedded in the surface and restore the natural beauty. The best way to clean linoleum floors on an annual or bi-annual basis involves a series of steps and the following materials:

• Vacuum cleaner
    • Soft-bristled brush
    • Microfiber mop
    • Bucket
    • Hot water
    • Baking soda
    • Mild dish soap
    • Old towels

Step by step instructions include:

1. Sweep or vacuum loose debris.
    2. Sprinkle baking soda on the floor.
    3. Mix one gallon of hot water, one cup of vinegar, and a few drops of dish soap.
    4. Mop the floor with the mixture, using the scrub brush to remove stubborn dirt, or in high traffic areas.
    5. Once the entire floor has been cleaned, mop once more using clean water to remove any traces of baking soda or soap residue.
    6. Dry the floors completely using old towels.

• Dee
    Dee

I tried something new today. I took my carpet cleaner and scrubbed my kitchen floor with it. I used Simple green in a spray bottle and let the carpet cleaner brushes do it's thing. And the best part is that I used the water in the well for a rinse> My white floors look beautiful and the grout is really clean.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello again,

The more I look at the photo, the more I think it is the original floor concrete showing through the paint! Best wishes.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

it look clean to me, I am surprised a steam didn't work, the other alternative shower and tub cleaner. but it could be very slick. or try https://www.pinesol.com/cleaning-surfaces/how-to-clean-concrete/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J0DYEPsytcZiPetxge9-J8QM8kqH1PjTy2tcV3gSDmBHXKkWMibW9UaApzGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Sharon
    Sharon

If its linoleum and has a heavy wax buildup or that godawful Mop and Wax on it, ammonia is used to strip it clean.... I like the lemon ammonia. Other cleaners just soften the coating never removing it and it can be sticky so it attracts dirt and shoe marks.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden
    Catherine Deirdre Rodden

How to clean a resin floor! - YouTube

All the cleansers you have been using are causing a build up. It is a "poured" floor and it does require special care.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska