Snowflake Wine Cork Ornament

$5

A snowflake made from wine corks is a decoration that can be enjoyed for Christmas and throughout the winter. This simple craft is inexpensive and can be made in an afternoon, plus it's a great way to upcycle wine corks.

Get more ideas for DIY, crafts, and home decor on my blog, Sweet Pea.

Gather Wine Corks

Start by gathering nine wine corks. Mine match but they don’t have to. If you don’t drink, ask a local bar to save corks for you. That's what I did!

Cut Corks in Half

Cut each cork in half using a bandsaw or hand saw. Note that I made a jig to use to cut the cork exactly in half. To do this, measure the middle of a cork and line it up with the bandsaw blade. Line up a board with the end of the cork and clamp it into place. Now you are ready to cut the corks in half without measuring!

Position Corks to Form the Middle of the Snowflake

Follow the picture above to position cork halves to form the middle of the snowflake. Once the corks are in position 3, use a hot glue gun to glue the outer corks only together. Be sure not to apply glue to the middle cork. After a circle is formed and the glue is dry, remove the center cork piece.

Add Corks to Form the Outside of the Snowflake

Following picture 5, glue wine cork halves into place using hot glue. Then follow picture 6 to complete the snowflake. Important Tip: I discovered that it was easier to drill a hole in one of the cork halves used in picture 6 for a hanger BEFORE gluing it into place.

Drill a Hole for a Hanger

Use a drill press to drill through one wine cork half to make a hole for a hanger. (Again, I recommend doing this before the cork half is glued into place.)

Decorate the Snowflake

Use glitter and ribbon to decorate the snowflake and then add a hanger. Head to my blog for step-by-step directions with pictures to follow.

Enjoy the Ornament

This ornament can be enjoyed on a Christmas tree, on a wreath, or hanging in a window. A local magazine used these ornaments for a Christmas tablescape and tied a snowflake to the back of each chair at the table. Have fun making your own ornament for your home!

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Paula Skulina

• Patinbr
    Patinbr

Hey--I read someplace that we could boil (corks) them for 30 minutes and they would cut easier...BOMP--wrong answer...I have a ton of corks and can not cut the crazy things

• Jeanne
    Jeanne

Thanks! I'll do that. If you're interested, here is my blog.