DIY Wood Christmas Tree

$10

Learn how to make a wood Christmas tree that can be used decoratively in just about any place in your home. I made a pair to use on either side of my Christmas mantel. Let me show you how to make one for your home!

This tree makes a great gift!

Not only did I make a pair of trees for myself, I made two more to give to two friends as gifts. Both friends were thrilled with their gift!

To make this tree you will need:

1. Pattern Pieces
  2. 1/4" Thick Wood Board - I used a 10" wide plank of pine.
  3. 1" Scrap of Wood - I used a scrap piece of deck board.
  4. 1/4" Scrap of Plyboard
  5. Wood Glue
  6. One 1 1/4" deck screw
  7. Wood Stain
  8. Power Tools
Cut out the pattern pieces

I found this craft in a magazine that is out of print. Printable pieces are available on my blog! Cut out the pattern pieces. Here are mine on my 1/4" board.

Trace Pattern Pieces onto Wood

Trace the pattern pieces onto the wood. Use the edge of the board whenever possible to save wood cutting time. Not Shown: Trace the pattern pieces onto the 1" board and 1/4" plyboard.

Cut the Pieces Out

Use a jigsaw or bandsaw to cut out the pieces.

Sand the Tree Pieces

Sand the wood tree pieces.

Use a chop saw or sliding compound miter saw to cut out these pieces.

The square and the scalene triangle form the base of the tree. The isosceles triangle is the backing of the wood tree. Sand these pieces after cutting them out.

Stain Pieces and Assemble the Tree

Stain all of the pieces using desired stain color or colors. I used Minwax Dark Walnut. Position tree pieces into place leaving a small gap between each piece. Glue the isosceles triangle to the pieces to hold them into place.

Add the Base to the Tree

Assemble the base of the tree, then glue it to the back of the tree. I weighted it down with my drill while the glue dried.

Decorate with the Tree

I used my tree on our porch that I decorate every year for Christmas. A year later, I used two tree on my Christmas mantel. Get more ideas for woodworking, crafts, and home decor on my blog, Sweet Pea.

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Paula Skulina

• Zeze
    Zeze

Love your tree!!! So many different things one can do with it!!! You are very creative 😉

• Paula Skulina
      Paula Skulina

Thank you so much! I would love for you to visit my blog for more project ideas.

• Joanie
    Joanie

I LOVE these little trees. What a great job as well as great look!! Thank you for sharin''.......Happy Holidays!