Wallpapering My Toilet Lid

$10

My toilet lid didn't match the rest of my toilet, and the tank was a different color than the bowl. I decided to use that to my advantage and just cover the lid up--- with wallpaper!! Now no one notices the mismatched pieces. This is how I did it...

Toilet Before

Here is my toilet lid before I did anything.

Paint the lid with Wallpaper Primer

This helps the wallpaper adhere like it is supposed to. I put newspaper between the lid and the seat, so that paint would not get on the seat.

(I'd love to show you some more of my paint projects.)

Add Wallpaper according to the directions.

Follow the wallpaper directions to adhere the wallpaper to the lid, after the primer has dried. To get the wallpaper to adhere around the curve of the lid, I first attached it with mod podge, using clear packing tape to hold the wallpaper in place while the mod podge dried. After that dried completely, I knew I would need something more durable, so I added a seal of clear silicone and let that dry completely. Are you ready to see the AFTER picture??

AFTER!

Here it is! I had wallpapered my wall, and had enough wallpaper left over for the lid. Doesn't it coordinate so nicely! Don't you want a coordinating lid, too?!

[How long did it last, you ask? Well, it's been three years now, and the wallpaper lid is holding together just as well as when I first did it, and I have not had to make any repairs.]

Looking for more ways to make your bathroom prettier? I have lots of great ideas right here!

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Liberty Brammer

• Jody Price
    Jody Price

One more question....did you use the silicone as in .... paint it on the top and around the under edges?

• Liberty Brammer
      Liberty Brammer

Hi Jody, So first I put mod podge on the edges. To hold it in place while the mod podge dried, I applied packing tape. After the mod podge dried, I removed the packing tape and added silicone. I made a video so you can see the end result--- and I discovered that I did leave the packing tape on at the bottom of the lid (when it is open)! But everywhere else I took the packing tape off-- replacing the packing tape with silicone. Here's the video: https://jumprope.com/g/wallpapered-toilet-lid/MSZ0v3pW

• Ronél
    Ronél

Clever, I love it but would like to know what it looks like underneath ...

• MsAllis882
    MsAllis882

Have you thought about applying the same idea to the tank and/or tank lid?

• Liberty Brammer
      Liberty Brammer

Since the tank "sweats" due to temp changes I don't think that would be a good idea.... and I usually have a tissue box sitting on top of my toilet lid so it's already covered....