Buffalo Check DIY Tree Collar

$20

Hi there, I'm Cindy. I blog at DIY Beautify where I love to share thrifty upcycles, craft tutorials and amazing home decor inspiration!

Today I'm excited to share how you can turn a piece of aluminum flashing into an adorable buffalo check tree collar for less than $20!! Of course if you're not a fan of buffalo check, you can use another pattern, but the concept and how-to remains the same!

Let's get started.

Cut aluminum flashing to size

SAFETY FIRST! - Aluminum flashing is very sharp! Make sure to wear protective gloves for the first two steps!

Measure around your tree base and add 3-4" for overlap. Cut flashing with scissors.

Helpful tip: because the flashing is sold in a roll, it has a tendency to want to roll up on you. Have something heavy on hand (like a brick or heavy book) that you can set on top to hold it flat.

Tape edges

Use black electrical tape to cover the edges of the flashing. The tape effectively covers the sharp edges and makes it safe to work with and use in home decor!

Attach fabric

Using spray adhesive, attach fabric of choice to one side of flashing. I found a buffalo check table runner that was the perfect size and already has hemmed edges! Fold excess fabric around flashing and tape on the backside (again using electrical tape).

Make sure to notch your corners before folding fabric over flashing. It will help to reduce bulk!

Finish opening

I used decorative ribbon to finish off the opening. This way, the tree collar is tied in front and the ribbon adds a fun and decorative element!

You can visit my blog post for full details on how I attached the ribbon.

If you opt not to use ribbon, you can use a binder clip to hold the edges of the DIY tree collar together. If you turn that to the backside of the tree, no one will ever see it!

I love that this DIY tree collar can be added even after your tree is up and decorated!

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
CINDY DIY Beautify

• Ellen Bliss DiPietro
    Ellen Bliss DiPietro

Love this idea. Can you tell me the height measurements of your flashing?

• CINDY DIY Beautify
      CINDY DIY Beautify

Thank you! Off the top of my head, I think it was 10" but if I made it again, I would buy the taller one. There's additional info if you click through to the blog.