Board and Batten / Tall Wainscot

$250

I’m so excited to share with y’all my entryway update!

We built our house three years ago, but because of trying to save money there were several things that we weren’t able to include initially. I love our entryway and I especially love the stamped R on our stained concrete.

I think what I dislike the most is how dark it is. We have double iron doors that let some light in, but I really wanted to lighten things up.

We added Board and Batten (also called Wainscot, but taller) and painted it a lighter color.

This was an easy addition to the room! Painting it was more of a challenge than installing it because of a silly mistake I made!!!

Did y’all know you can’t use silicone caulk on a painted surface? Well if you did… Y’all failed to share that with me! I learned this the hard way.🤣🤣

Anyway… That’s another story for another day. Let’s get right down to the board and batten.

Check out this pretty Board and Batten!!

Here is a before shot! With five dogs I can’t seem to take a picture without one of them in it!

Items needed:

• 1×3 common pine
  • 1×4 common pine
  • Brad gun
  • Finishing nails
  • Tape measure
  • Pencil
  • Magnet 
  • Level 
  • Optional: F26
  • Miter saw
  • Table saw
  • Supplies for week 3… Caulk (NOT SILICONE!!), putty and Paint

Cuts (usually I have exact cuts for my projects, but due to varying room sizes you will need to measure your room and cut accordingly):

• Vertical pieces 1×3 common pine boards 5 ft long x however many pieces you need. 
  • Bottom border, 1×3 common pine, measure around the bottom of the room and cut accordingly. 
  • Top border, 1×4 common pine, measure around the top of the room and cut accordingly. 
  • Ledge rip 1×3 in 1/2 with a table saw or buy a smaller piece. Measure around the room and cut accordingly.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Find Your Studs

If you have an awesome stud finder then perfect.. use it and mark each stud with a pencil. 

If not I discovered the BEST trick ever! For years we have struggled with finding studs. We have purchased several stud finders and they never seem to work right. A carpenter recently told us it’s probably because the added insulation to our interior walls. He said that this can interfere with the stud finders readings. The most genius trick I’ve ever learned through all of my DIY‘s is using a magnet to find your studs! When your sheet rock is attached to your studs they use screws. The magnet will stick to the screws, therefore finding your studs! The screws should go in a horizontal line along your wall in a couple different spots on your studs.

Can you see my excitement in the video 🤣🤣!

Find the studs and mark them. They are typically 16” apart. Remember 90% ( I totally made that number up!!) of the time things will not be exact so plan on struggling to find one or two of them.

Lower Border 

Using the 1×4’s hang the lower border first. Place your nails where there are studs. Otherwise, your wood will pull away from the wall. We left our trim up and butted the 1×4 up against the trim. Our entryway leads to the hallway, living room, and laundry room so it would have been a massive job pulling up the existing trim. 

Vertical Pieces 

Now hang your 1×3’s vertically along your studs. Be sure to use your level to ensure each piece is straight.

Top Border

Back to your 1×4’s, hang the top border all the way around the room placing your nails on each stud.

Ledge

I decided I wanted a thin ledge. After consulting with my IG bestie and texting her random videos and pictures of different sizes of wood I ripped a … and nailed it down along the top border.

Hope y’all enjoyed this project! If so be sure to drop me a comment below or tag me on IG!!

As always thanks for stopping by!

❤️Danya

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY

• Janet Stachyra McGrath
    Janet Stachyra McGrath

The project is simply beautiful; where did you get that awesome rug?

• Carole White
      Carole White

I was thinking the same thing about the rug; thanks for the link! What a great job you did!!

• So pretty, then the crack in the floor is somewhat distracting! Why don't you tile or LVP over it?

• Sissy
      Sissy

character comes from love and without love where would we be .Funny I did not even see the crack I saw the R and had to look again

• Lorraine
    Lorraine

Is that paper bag flooring?

• Hey Lorraine... it's stained concrete. This is our actual slab and we had them do a smoother finish. We then used the stencil for the "R" and acid stained everything. Then when we took the stencil up were left with the slab color there :)