What kind of dining table?

+21

I have a very large weird kitchen what size table or style of table will look right?

q what kind of dining table

View 1

q what kind of dining table

View 2

• Dee Dee on Nov 06, 2020

I realize you did not ask this, but if you own the home, I would put in some more cabinets for storage and an island with 4 stools. Your kitchen is huge and has so much wasted space.

If you are renting then I would get a rectangle table.

• See 1 previous
    • Dee Dee on Nov 08, 2020

I would still buy a hutch or even an Armoire which you can get at thrift stores. I would put shelves in the armoire for storage even use for a pantry. You can take that with you when you move. I would also look for a movable island you can use a dresser, that you can find at a thrift store or garage sale. Then I would look for the new table to see what fits in the space.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Nov 06, 2020

HI there, you can bring in your own island (because you're renting) it could be just a large buffet or even a dresser. You could even use a salvage door for the top of it. Here's a link of a couple of ideas: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/diy-kitchen-island-projects/

Besides that I would consider a round table to really utilize the space and break up all the rectangles you already have going on.

• Annie Annie on Nov 06, 2020

A table with wood grain, and perhaps a leaf or two to make larger when required

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Nov 06, 2020

Hi Ikea, I agree with the other ladies, a rectangular table will work best and probably a 6 seater. Consider getting a kitchen island to create a "break/division" between the kitchen area and the dining area. That way you'll have more storage space and depending on what you use as an island, it could double up as a serving area too.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Nov 06, 2020

Hi this is Peggy, You could put a rug under your table and that would help define the space. Oval tables are nice in a long kitchen.

• I agree, a non-permanent island would be great. You have room for that and a rectangular table. Here's a link to kitchen island ideas for you:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=kitchen%20islands%27

• Em Em on Nov 06, 2020

Round tables seem to be more awkward in a set up. I would go rectangular.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Nov 06, 2020

I think a tall table or island could work in your kitchen - more counter space! Then a large round table in the open area - if you can find one with leaves to acccomodate more chairs when needed. :)

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 06, 2020

Hello, I would go with a rectangle table, and it looks like you could get away with even putting a hutch or microwave cart in there for a little extra storage.

• Angiel Kay Angiel Kay on Nov 06, 2020

Install an island with some bar stools

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 06, 2020

A rectangle table to seat 6 or a smaller 1 with leafs, you might even consider a drop leaf table. Another thought is stack-able chairs.I like the idea of a movable island to help you with cooking and extended counter space. You'd also need a pretty table cloth to break up the brown wood and floor and white decor.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 06, 2020

Maybe an peninsula would be a better fit for the shape of your kitchen than an island.

Check out some pics they aren't all the same looking.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-layouts-island-or-a-peninsula-stsetivw-vs~170737

• I'd get a square table that has a leaf or two to make it longer if you have guests over. That is what we do and it works out well.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 06, 2020

Hello I would suggest rectangular,but the table should be suited to your seating needs.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 06, 2020

Hi Ikea: A lot depends on how large your family is and if you entertain often. And, of course, your taste :) And, since you're renting, I wouldn't get a huge table as the next house may have a smaller kitchen. I prefer a rectangle table. I used to have round tables, but they really take up space and aren't as convenient as a rectangle or square table. I'd get one with leaves so that you can open the table if you need more space, and, of course a few extra chairs. If you like the farm house look, you can get a table that is a bit heavier and bulkier. The extra chairs can go up against the wall and would take up that space. I'd also put a rug under the table to make it more of an eating area and to define it a bit more. You can put it just under the table or get a larger one that will fit at least 3 feet on each side of the table. Space is good, you don't need to put the table in the middle of the floor, it can go closer to the wall. Good luck with this :)

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 07, 2020

I would use a rectangle table.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 07, 2020

4 seat size. Round would probably work best. I know this may sound weird but see if you can piece some cardboard together the size it will be and place it for spacing. You Could also do a fold down from the wall on far left.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 07, 2020

Hello there,

You could have the table end on to the wall (Oblong). You could have it out from the cardboard box area too. You could also have it in the middle of the room. It could be solid top or fold down, butterfly or extendable table. It would be up to you. Happy hunting!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 07, 2020

Hi! Soft edges are my preference! An oval or round table would work well in your space. Good luck!

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 10, 2020

a round table would work great and you could even build in a seat or banquette around the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Fvl2SkGLQ

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Nov 30, 2020

oblong usually looks good in tight areas