Upcycled Tuna Can Ornaments

$1

For me, my favorite part of Christmas is all the preparations, especially the crafting. I love to make my own decorations and ornaments from the stuff around me. Last year I made some cool ornaments out of repurposed eyeglasses (see here). This year I used some tuna tin cans.

The first thing I did was file any sharp edges on the cans and then spray painted them.

Next, I made a cork base for the inside of the tuna cans. I just used an old IKEA cork trivet for this.

I love to craft with old dictionary papers. The pages make very affordable craft paper and you get a lot pages in a dictionary. Like maps dictionaries go out of date and can be picked up for pennies at your local thrift/charity stores if you don't have one at home.

I decoupaged the inside of the can with the dictionary paper.

I gave the outside of the tin cans a more festive look, by decoupaging it with old Christmas gift wrap scraps.

My blog is full of wonderful vintage images, for this craft I decided to focus on butterflies. You can download for three two sheets of butterfly images for this craft.

I chose a butterfly for each tin can and carefully cut them out with a papercraft knife.

I then used specimen pins to mount the butterfly inside the tin can.

I made three of these tin can butterfly ornaments. You can find a lot more free vintage images to use here.

31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Claire Armstrong