Upcycled Denim Seam Ornaments

$1

You might not think that denim is traditional material to use for Christmas ornaments, but I love to make upcycled Christmas decorations (you can see lots here). This time I used just the smallest of denim scraps left over from my other denim projects, the seams and hems.

For this craft it is best to use the double stitched seams from old jeans. You will normally find them on the inside legs or across the back of the jeans just below the waist band.

You can also use the hems of the old jeans too.

You will need a denim seam about 37cm long. Mark the inside of the seams at various points with a pen. Start at 7cm from the end then mark a point at 14cm, then decrease the gap by 1cm each time so the the next mark is at 20cm (full details on the blog). Carry on until you reach the end of the seam.

You will also need some felt balls, a felt star and bakers twine.

Thread an upholstery needle with bakers twine. Starting at the end of the seam fold it over and thread through the first mark at 7cm.

Then thread the needle through one of the felt balls.

Carry on threading the needle through the marked points adding a felt ball in between each one.

Finish off the tree with a felt star.

These upcycled trees are fun to make even the kids could get involved. I made some bigger ones with denim waistbands and bigger felt balls that you can see on the blog.

These aren't the first denim trees I've made I also have made tabletop denim Christmas trees (see here).

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

Your ornaments are one of my favorites I’ve seen on this site.

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Hi Claire. I just love these little tree ornaments! I put up several “themed”trees every Christmas season in my house. A new denim one will surely be added to the my list of trees to switch and swap to each year. I have LOTS of salvaged denim to work with already. I also looked at your other denim project site too. Loved everything I saw there too! Great job and thanks so much for sharing these.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue
      Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you so much, I love the idea of a denim themed tree. Thanks for visiting my site as you can see I love upcycling with denim. Happy New Year.