Asked on Nov 9, 2020

Could a sofa be made over reduced into a loveseat?

Agnes ChrzanowskaMelissa O'J Brown
+23

I'm thinking it should be possible to remove the center section of this sofa like this keeping only the two reclining portions to create a double recliner loveseat. Pretty sure the three sections are separately upholstered and joined underneath out of sight.

My husband is pretty handy, what do you Hometalkers think?

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

Anything is possible. You will need to be able to get to the supports and then securely tie the 2 sections together. Worse thing that could happen - you trash the whole thing and go buy a new love seat.

• 516maria
    516maria

I agree with Ken. If you’re ok with it not working out.. go for it. I have a couch like that as well.. and I think it’s something that can be accomplished. Good luck 🦋

• Janice
    Janice

What you are wanting to do is likely possible. Check out the mechanical workings of your sofa well before starting. Often times something that seems relatively simply can morph into a huge project if one is not prepared for the intricacies of how the piece is built. It's possible that some of the "recliner" mechnics are housed in the middle section of the sofa. Best of luck! Either way, you'll learn a lot!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It wouldn't be easy at all! You're better off just finding the right size from your local buy and sell. Sorry!

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree anything is possible. It likely has a steel frame/base that will need to be cut and joined back together. An angle grinder would probably be your best bet to take of that as that will probably be the biggest issue. Once you have it all separate I would see how the separate ends work to make sure when you join them you won't be interfering with their hardware.

• Mogie
    Mogie

The same reason you can't take a chain saw to a car. When you start rearranging things they generally don't work since you have messed with the frame. And the frame is the skeleton of the sofa sort of.

Sell this one and use the money from that and go buy exactly what you want.

• J Brown
      J Brown

Thanks Jo I figured it could be done, did your project have recliners??? That opens up more options when looking at used prospects.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

The only way I can imagine this working is if you could remove it from the frame and then cut & weld the frame to switch from a sofa to a loveseat. If you try doing it with the upholstery attached you may have a fire. I would think you would be better off buying what you want and getting rid of this one. It looks very nice and you might be able to sell it for a good price.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

It won't work too well, or at all. We have a leather couch with recliners at each end, I tried to raise it because it sat too low, getting in was just fine, but getting out was a problem, so I bought bed risers to put under it. The recliners no longer function because the risers are interfering with the function of them. We had placed them where the couch is supported on the frame. For this reason, it will probably not work.

If acceptable to you, you might under the best circumstances have a love seat that does not recline.

William

Turn it over and remove the dust cover to see how they are connected and if it's possible. They may be just connected to each other which would make it possible. They also may be connected by a single frame which would make it not possible. If it is possible you would need some sort of center separator between the two so they recline independently. It would not be easy. I would try to sell it and buy new.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

sounds like a good idea but may not be as easy as you think- turn it over and see how it is attached before taking the center section out- the brace/support may run the entire length and then you would have to take it off, cut it off and re-attach

• J Brown
    J Brown

thank you everyone for your thoughts. My husband loves a challenge but this may be unsuccessful.

• You may alter the structural soundness of the sofa. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

Here is a post in taking apart a sectional that may help. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/separate-sectional-sofa-use-arrange-room-64498.html

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi,

You would need to turn it upside down. Take off the Base and take a look at the frame. If your frame is individual and you have wooden dividers to each seat. Then in theory, Yes!

You would need to cut the frame to be able to give you two ends with frames and then be able to Metal Strap them together (Bed Strap fitting) would be fine. or fit a long under frame joining the two pieces together, and discard the centre section. You may then be able to make the centre section into a seat on it's own by use of Wooden sides, or make it into an upholstered stool..... If in doubt, ask an Upholsterer to give you a price and discuss it with you. Regards

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I don't know, I would worry it would look unfinished on the removed sides or wouldn't sit evenly. You could give it a try, though.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I'd flip it over and look at the underside to see how it's attached

• J Brown
    J Brown

Thank you all decided to pass on the idea and begin looking for a loveseat.

• Melissa O'
    Melissa O'

One way is to take off a side section.. Remove the arm and leg piece. Then attach them to the cut down sofa. This helps retain the structural integrity of the new love seat.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

it would be a lot of work and you would have to use heavy machine that could cut through it

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I would love to find out if that worked for you .. interesting project