DIY Black Shiplap Planter

$50

I feel like I find inspiration for new projects everywhere I go! I recently saw planters in a hotel lobby that I absolutely loved! The planters were rather tall and held snake plants. I wanted to make my own with a little twist by adding my favorite thing...shiplap! That's how this black shiplap planter came to be!

STEP 1: Make a Frame

I started with a basic plant window box that set the width and depth of my planter. I suggest using a planter box without any drain holes. If you get one with drain holes, simply plug them.

I created a small base that was the full width and depth of the planter using both 1x4 and 2x4 wood. I used the 2x4 as the vertical supports and the 1x4 as the base and to support the shiplap. (I tried to use all of the scrap wood that we had laying around the garage.)

STEP 2: Add Planter Box

Once the frame was complete, I placed the planter box on top. It fit snugly on top of the frame, so I didn't bother securing it in any way.

STEP 3: Add Shiplap to the Frame

Once I had the base complete, I glued and nailed the shiplap to the base. I made the front and back pieces of shiplap the full width of the frame. I overlapped the end pieces so that they were flush with the front and back shiplap pieces.

STEP 4: Add Trim

I also used the trim pieces that I had left over from my shiplap project to trim the planter. I started by wrapping the base of the planter with flat trim.

I then trimmed out the top of the planter with an outside corner moulding. I added the outside corner moulding to the four corners as well.

Once all of the trim was on, I caulked all of the joints.

STEP 5: Paint it Black

I finished off the planter with some flat black paint. I used a small paint brush for the spaces and a large paint brush for everything else.

STEP 6: Add Plants

The final piece was the snake plant. I bought a pot that had three different snake plants in it. I separated them and evenly spaced them in the planter.

The planter ended up being just under two and a half feet tall. The snake plants complemented the planter well and added just a little more height. It is the perfect addition to our entryway!

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Nicole | Simply Aligned Home

• Chabella
    Chabella

I completely agree with everyone: beautiful and elegant answer to having plants indoors but keeping the look simple. And those BARN DOOR SHUTTERS!!! Holy moly! I live in Florida and I’m thinking that they are sure more attractive than those ugly hurricane shutters we put up when a storm comes through. Just close ‘em up, lock ‘em down, and voilà! Do you know if anyone has ever done that?

• Debpetbutler
      Debpetbutler

Agreed bug outdoor.shutters help.fp prevent glass from breaking and shattering who I then had to nd replaced.

• Chabella
    Chabella

Maybe this is one of those rare “stupid questions” but I wanna know anyway. How did you anchor the supports to the top and the bottom of the frame? Did you make pocket holes?

• Janie Hagerman
    Janie Hagerman

How do you remove dry mod podge from painted wall?

• Kathy Vanderslice
      Kathy Vanderslice

Saturate the area by holding a soft cloth soaked in warm water to the spot for one to two minutes. After the mod podge has softened, scrape it away from the wall using a plastic scraper, like the kind you would use to scrape you car free of ice. Work gently and try to avoid chipping the wall's paint, as this can lead to the need for a touch up with matching paint later on.

Saturate the area with a steam cleaner if the Mod Podge proves to be stubborn.