How to Make a Dried Fruit & Herb Garland

$20

I'VE MADE SEVERAL DRIED FRUIT GARLANDS FOR CHRISTMAS, BUT THIS ONE MAY BE MY FAVORITE BECAUSE IT'S SO MUCH EASIER TO DO.

Materials Needed or Recommended

First, many of the items are optional. You can choose from several fruits and herbs as well as the ornaments that you want to add. However, here is what I used.

• Heavy jute rope
  • Dried Oranges - see how to dry fruit here.
  • 3 Ball shaped ornaments
  • 2 Snow Flake shaped ornaments
  • 6 - Old Book or Music Pages Folded
  • 11 - 1 inch Wooden Beads - 1 inch painted red or your choice of color.
  • Large eye needle
  • Small Jute String
  • Herbs of your choice - Rosemary & Sage can be substituted with Boxwood, pine, cedar or other herbs from your garden.
DETERMINE THE LENGTH OF YOUR GARLAND

Now that you have your materials gathered, you should cut your heavy jute rope to the desired length. In addition, you will want to allow extra length to form a tassel at the ends of the garland. I recommend allowing more length than you think you'll need because you can always cut of the excess.

You will want to unravel the ends and then tie the unraveled ends into a knot. Once the knot is secure, continue to unravel to form a tassel like appearance.

COMBINE YOUR HERBS OR GREENRY

For each step, you will need your needle threaded with the small jute string.

Begin by attaching the herb stems together with the jute string approx. 10 inches long. Then thread the needle into one end of the string to attach the orange slices. I used two stems of Rosemary and one stem of Sage in the center.

Bring the jute string in from the back of the herbs and then through the dried orange slices. Be sure to pull the string gently because you can pull completely through the oranges and leave a hole.

BALL ORNAMENT FOR DRIED FRUIT & HERB GARLAND

This next step is where you can be creative and make any combination you choose. I personally, used dried fruit, herbs, wooden beads, and music note pages, in addition to the ball ornament.

Once again, begin by threading the needle with the jute string. Tie one end to the ornament hanger and begin loading the additional items by threading them onto the jute string.

Order of arrangement
  1. Music page
  2. Wooden bead
  3. Small piece of fresh sage
  4. Three orange slices
  5. Wooden bead
  6. Music page
  7. Wooden bead
Snow Flake ornament

The snowflake ornaments can be attached as they are, however I added a wooden bead to the jute string.

TIE ALL THE SECTIONS TOGETHER FOR YOUR GARLAND

Finally, you want to lay your large jute rope out and align the different sections. Once you have them in a desirable arrangement, begin to tie them to the large rope securely.

HANG YOUR DRIED FRUIT & HERB GARLAND

I have hung a garland over my kitchen window for several years and therefore, I have a couple of simple nails at each end with a small cup hook in the center.

Place you garland in the desired area and if the tassels need trimming, cut them at that time.

I love the whimsical look of this garland. However, if you'd like to see the original dried fruit garland tutorial, you can watch the saved tutorial my Instagram Stories.

If you'd like to see how to make a tassel garland using ticking fabric, click here.

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse